What have you accomplished since you began struggling with mental illness?

-list your mental illness and achievements
-also list what you plan to achieve in the next 5-10 years
-list what inspires you to keep working

1. Schizoaffective Disorder Bipolar Type
  2. Wifeying in a rock-solid committed marriage
    Mamaing two beautiful amazing kiddos
    Not dying by suicide
  3. I plan to heal and recover, to learn to take risks and cope with my illness, to teach my kids empathy, to love others, to educate, and to get a job
  4. The Lord, my husband, and my kids inspire me.
4 Likes

sz, depression, PTSD, anthrophobia

excellent athleticism, physical health, very well learned and practiced in a myriad of areas, writer, relationships

I plan to write out some books, some alternate media form productions, and invest

knowing is amazing, experiencing, learning, discovery, thinking, creativity, and helping people virtuously…as many people as possible

2 Likes

Nothing 57899532

2 Likes

I’m a wife and a mom and I love being both. Also, after lots of hospital admissions for suicidal thought but not yet sz, I graduated with a bachelor’s degree with a perfect 4.0 GPA. I had a 100% average in every class. But I totally can’t do that now.

2 Likes

Schizoaffective, bipolar type.

1. Received my bachelor’s in science degree in nursing- B.S.N. 1986
  2. Received my R.N. nursing license to practice in both Nebraska and Arizona 1985
  3. Worked in a broad range of nursing fields in both acute care and long term care nursing over a span of ten years.1983- 1993
  4. Attended a community college in Nebraska studying Microcomputer Office Technology. One course away from graduation.
  5. Studied piano performance for 13 years, and music composition for 8 years, with Melody Music Studios under Dana Andreasen of Omaha, NE, and is presently still in studies. 2006- present.
  6. Recorded and promoted first musical album: “Reflections”, by Mark Kurtz, Denise Kolar and Mark Nelson
  7. Recorded and promoted second musical album: “Hold Me”, by Denise Kolar
  8. Recorded and promoted third musical album: “Dark Dusk”, by Dana Andreasen
  9. Wrote and published the book: “Unbalanced: The Autobiography of a Schizophrenic Bipolar Woman”, by Lisa M. Fina
3 Likes

Paranoid schizophrenia.
My accomplishments are in my past because I’ve reached a point where I don’t accomplish things any more. But mainly in the early years of the disorder here are a few:

1. I rode my Mountain bike almost 40 miles once.
  2. I traveled to the Appalachian mountains, Atlanta (where I climbed Kennesaw Mountain and watched a NBA basketball game when Atlanta was playing the Chicago Bulls when they had Jordan, Pippen, and Rodman), and Washington DC with few issues. I also went to Charleston, SC but had issues there.
  3. Walked for about 20 miles on a nature trail
  4. Earned an associate’s degree with a Suma Cum Lauda.
  5. Played a positive role (along sadly a negative role as well) in almost all of my niece’s lives.
  6. Did mainly volunteer jobs for almost 15 years.
  7. Did a few Storm Spotter reports (mainly hail reports), and once participated in a volunteer weather observer program for a few years.
  8. Wrote over a 100 poems (sadly the majority are unlikely to be published), and a number of short stories.
  9. Rode down the Nanatahala River in a raft.
  10. Played frisbee golf, tennis, minature and regular golf (twice), bowling, swimming, chess, checkers, and a number of card games.
  11. Drew and colored.
    (Your life doesn’t have to be meaningless.)
1 Like

I was in my first psyche ward when I got diagnosed at age 19. I didn’t work for the next three years but then I got a job and I’ve been employed almost steadily since. I’m 57 now. I’ve been at my janitor job 5 years now but in the past I’ve worked as a park ranger. I also unloaded trucks for four years and done other jobs. Up until three years ago I lived independently, which was from 1995-2015. I’ve also been driving my own cars since 1997. I have some college; I’m getting close to getting my degree.

My dad passed away ten years ago but I still treasure the memory of being first man at his wedding and at the reception and later in a crowded hotel room in front of about 20 people, many who I did not know, I made the obligatory toast.
I’ve flown across the country two or three times. I used to take the Amtrak train to visit my dad in Sacramento which was a three hour ride. I did that too many times to count. Later when I got a car, I drove there by myself, about a 190 miles. I did that several times.

At my job I won an Employee of the Year plaque.

My sister started her own business and she hired me to help her. So we used to rent a moving truck and I would load it with furniture and drive it various locations to houses and unload it and then drive it back. I was really proud of this accomplishment, I really helped her a lot and she depended a lot on me and I did it all without really screwing anything up.

I’ve had friends, we had many good times

I had a crack addiction but I got clean in AA, CA, and NA in 1990.

4 Likes

I have achieved nothing, except the schizophrenic poem i am writing now. It will get published soon. Since my diagnosis I get worse and worse. The last month I am better than ever though

2 Likes

I’ve written two books, made plenty of songs, volunteered, recovered miraculously quick all things considered. But really not that much. My situation was very dire in 2014-December 2015 even on abilify before I started naltrexone. I’ve put myself in a position able to accomplish more. But not sure if I’m not too lazy to do anything

1 Like
  • Ptsd + recurrent psychotic symptoms + mood symptoms. No idea which diagnosis.
  • I built a few friendships, i rebuilt my family relationships, i am the mama of an 8 year old, i volunteered and now i work parttime in a job i like. Recovering from mental health stuff is the hardest (ongoing) work and greatest accomplishment though. We all thought id be dead by now.
  • I plan to (co)raise my son to be a loving and loved adult, to hold on to the few relationships i have and to become a better, more loving and confident person.
  • My son inspires me, God does, my own wish to be a good person does.
1 Like

Schizophrenia and Major Depression.

1. Completed my Bachelor of Nursing Science
  2. Climbed the ladder at work and became a Clinical Nurse
  3. Paid off debt for bachelor degree
  4. Going to Europe in June

What i hope to achieve in the next 5 - 10 years

1. Own my own home
  2. Travel some more
  3. Go back to uni to study either medicine, economics or physics
2 Likes

there use to be a link to your music where can i find this? @SkinnyMe

1 Like

I didn’t acoplished anything just got a job finished few video games ranked in Starcraft 2, gained some muscles by training

1 Like

Disorganised Schizophrenia

1. I manage not to have a relapse sinse 2012
    2)I manage to travel abroad (not alone of course)
    3)Manage to climb at a near mountain in 1900m
    4)Manage be compassionate
    5)To help harvest grapes
    7)To built a better relationship with my grandmother
  2. Make food,pastry and bread
    (Yellow bread, I made it today) :slight_smile:
  3. To read 90 books the last 4 years
4 Likes

I’m glad that you are better than ever and a poem is better than nothing.

2 Likes

Building muscles and getting a job are accomplishing something.

1 Like

I am a paranoid Schizophrenic

I have achieved:

• A degree in History and Sociology
  • Working for the last 5 years into a pretty good job
  • Got my own place to live

That’s about it. Usually these things would be standard, but dealing with issues as well has not made it easy at all.

3 Likes

www.MyOwnAnthony.com Thanks for asking, @333

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.