What has worked for you for in getting better?

As stated above: what has helped you get better?

1 Like

My one and only psychotic episode, for which I was not committed to a mental institution; but, which was still quite episodic and psychotic, was about 17 years ago.

I’ve taken antipsychotics as prescribed by a psychiatrist, and occasionally come off of them for a few months as prescribed by a psychiatrist, generally all of that 17 years.

I think that helped.

Trying as many meds as possible to reduce side effects

1 Like

Adding 7 mg of Abilify really helped me. And some solid advice on this forum has really helped me. The hardest thing was being told just to get my mind and body moving and go through the motions and things will become good habits. The term fake it till you make it was used and it sounded harsh but to tell the truth I think it’s working. I always wanted to just to be genuine about what I was experiencing and it turned out I was being very negative and depressed and in the negative symptoms of schizophrenia.

1 Like

We need one recovery thread where people can post stuff because it is getting tiring answering this over and over.

2 Likes

A healthy low carb diet. Staying in touch with friends and family. Employment. But most of all pursuing my passion in my writing philosophy, its such a joy to me and I feel that as long as I have that I will be fine.

1 Like

Med compliance and greatly limiting alcohol consumption. Sometimes it takes a while to find the right med combination, though, and even then it sometimes needs to be adjusted.

3 Likes

finding the right ap is key, plus building hope…once i built my hope up big enough after getting on the right ap, I found happiness…been happy ever since.

4 Likes

Medication and social support.

4 Likes

A stress free life without obligations and lots and lots of rest. Meds are important too.

4 Likes

This website.

There’s a huge chance I would have been one of those “off meds” schizophrenics without it which would have been fatal for me.

It’s helped keep me on meds in a few ways.

5 Likes

Hmmm… well when I was first diagnosed (like a few months out of the hospital)

I put myself out there, like hung out with family, went to events of friends, made a dating profile online…

I don’t know.

I basically magically got better
(the magic being the meds of coarse)

Daily exercise. Eating healthy. Pushing myself to be social with others. Getting outside often. Good hygiene. Good morning routine to set up the day ahead. Meds that suit. Good pdoc. Educating self about illness. Having a gf/bf. Stopping street drugs (even weed). Tidying home or bedroom. Cathartic music listening/playing. Not being hard on self if down or feeling rough/needing a break. Getting a decent sleep every night. Reading books. Get outside comfort zone when capable. Going on sz forum. Wearing nice clothes. Finding healthy hobbies. Having goals to work towards. Attending a dbt group. Talk therapy. Repairing worthwhile family connections. Coffee. Mindfullness practices (breath focus or body scan). Walking tall instead of hunched. Hot and ice cold showers. Getting some sun on skin. Friendship. Spend money wisely. Be open and honest if experiencing psychotic symptoms again before it gets too bad and lose insight. Having a spiritual aspect to life. Reduce screen time. Get out of bed immediately after waking up in morning (don’t lay there scrolling through reels for an hour). Learn/educate self about things in spare time (history, politics etc).

Wow I didn’t realise how much i do for myself until i wrote this haha. I dont do all of them but most!
Hope someone finds one of these helpful.

1 Like

I think being med compliant and having a great support system has helped me. Working also has helped me, although it does produce stress.

1 Like

Quitting drugs and alcohol.

3 Likes

Good advice from for the responses. I noticed I have my ups and downs. I am getting better, just slowly.

1 Like

I decided to switch from pills to an injection five years ago and that helped me stay stable except for a few mood swings.

1 Like

Balance in everything.

Don’t sleep too little, don’t sleep to much
Eat balanced
Take a moderate amount of meds
Exercise moderately
Socialize moderately

Etc etc

2 Likes

Taking meds, mainly. Seeing my Pdoc every 6-8 weeks for refills. I probably need some talk therapy lol.

I recommend staying away from caffeine like energy drinks and cigarettes too.

1 Like