What Films had an Impact Upon your Life/Experiences

What films had an impact or reflected upon your life experiences, like made you see something funny in a dark situation or remind you of someone,or were out when you were in your youth.
For me it’s films I discovered during the Nineties in my trouble teens.
Like Repoman, Taxi Driver, Trees lounge and Pulp Fiction.

Would be great to hear back from a few of you.

3 Likes

Movies like silver linings playbook and others centred around mental health recovery are a big booster for me.
But also fantasy movies and books had a big impact on me growing up. Eg. Lord of the rings and the like.

1 Like

Taxi Driver and Fight Club. Always a visceral experience when I watch those movies

1 Like

I would actually say though that, studying political extremes from the 20th century had the biggest impact on me. Mostly through non fiction books. With things centred on the soviet union, the nazis and all that horrific histroy that still baffles me that it all actually happened in real life.

Sorry if i went a bit off topic.

Top gun. It taught me that life is short, and I should enjoy my 20s.

The jerk. It taught me that fame isn’t worth the hassle.

Star wars 1977. It taught me the good guys alway win!

1 Like

After I saw The Breakfast Club I wanted to relive my youth. And do it right this time.

1 Like

Watchmen 15151515

1 Like

I like the movie, Erin Brockovich. It taught me you don’t have to have a college education to do well or make a difference. It showed me the love of a mother. I showed me caring and compassion for others. It showed me having passion for your job. I used to swear like her too. I thought the character was relatable.

3 Likes

Big Lebowski had the biggest impact for sure. American beauty also made me appreciate life more. And of course the matrix and the truman show for reinforcing my psychosis.

1 Like

Close Encounters of the Third Kind. I went to the theater to see it seven times. Back in the 70’s we would go to a movie repeatedly at the theater. Then the video cassette player was invented.

2 Likes

The Thing.

I’ve suffered with death and thoughts of death, I saw “MINDGAME” an animated movie that really inspired me to look at life like an opportunity and to not let it go.

Its absolutely bonkers movie with a lot of heart.

Alien. The creature, the sets and so on that H.R.Giger designed were so, well alien that I was blown away. I saw it the day it came out, and while I 'm not a multiple viewing guy, I saw this one 3 times. The otherness of the whole plot was wildly original, and Giger’s work has influenced my own work ever since.

1 Like

IDK, The Exorcist freaked me out for a couple days after I saw it. But then again it freaked out a lot of people. Jaws was another one that freaked me out. I still went in the water afterwards but the uneasy feeling lasted months.

1 Like

wow, I was going to say the exorcist too…frightened me so bad I still can’t watch it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.