What does medication do

The universe doesn’t speak on the lips of your neighbours, but out of your self. The individual and your understanding is the universe. No one else sees the world as you do. how you see it is the world! Sharing the universe, not only tests the limits of yourself but is the shared universe. It is how you know you exist and others exist in a shared consciousness, by the limits of the physical world which we all share, otherwise we could all fly!

1 Like

Medicines do change who I am. If I’m put on a typical antipsychotic my life turns totally bland. It is without pleasure. Every moment is dull and painful.
If I don’t get Geodon I get pretty far out there. I experience intense anger, and I do and say crazy things.

2 Likes

I thought that bland feeling was just because my life is bland :wink:

1 Like

It doesn’t change the central core of you, but rather the way you act.

2 Likes

I’ll have to respond to that by quoting Shakespeare: “There is nothing good or bad that thinking makes it so.” That’s from Hamlet. I don’t completely agree with Shakespeare’s character, but how you respond to things is often more important than how good or bad the things are themselves.

2 Likes

Just know that they do come with the increased risk of extrapyramidal side effects such as akathisia and tardive dyskinesia, etc., and also an increased risk of metabolic syndrome causing insulin resistance, weight gain, diabetes, etc. Many people feel the benefits outweigh the side effects, and many people experience few or mild side effects. But then there are a few people who experience severe life altering side effects.

I am in favor of informed consent. A person should read about a medication and know about its potential benefits and side effects, and then make an informed decision.

3 Likes

Ummm w antipsychotics the most effective for me was risperdal and I wasn’t having voices in my head anymore, no fear or paranoia, and I couldn’t sense energy anymore. (Normally I can feel energy all around me, it was weird not being able to anymore like one of my senses was taken away)

Zoloft made a tremendous difference for me. I was so much calmer. Things that used to give me extreme anxiety no longer bothered me. Situations that would send me into an innappropriately powerful rage now didn’t bother me anymore. I wasn’t hyper-sensitive to sounds anymore. On Risperidone and Zoloft I really felt like a “normal” person for the first time in my life. I missed some aspects of the psychosis but everything else I was thrilled to have gone.

Too bad most psych meds destroy my body so I can’t really be on them.

1 Like