What do you think the chances of me getting off meds are?

And not having a diagnosis anymore. My symptoms are pretty much not existent at the moment, I just feel like I have been through a lot. Apparently, my pdoc is not going to consider me for a residual diagnosis, although I still feel as though that is where I am at. I am still a bit paranoid about myself and hung up on my problems. I am just a little unsure where things go from here. Do people go back to just getting on with things after 12 years of a diagnosis?

1 Like

Not really. It’s a life long thing. Unless you’ve been misdiagnosed to begin with.

2 Likes

I wonder if your success is because of the meds and what will happen if you discontinue those meds. It is more likely that you will continue to need the meds, I would think. Not to be a downer, but most people need the meds for life. Good luck, though, I hope it works out for you.

1 Like

So do you think they will keep me with the diagnosis, even though I do not have positive symptoms at the moment?

Do you have negative symptoms? Do you work, go to school, or take care of a family? It not, you are not truly recovered. Are you at your previous baseline?

1 Like

u dun hv positive symptoms because of the meds ,that’s all

1 Like

u would not need the meds if u r not schizohrenic but the fact that u take the meds to deal with the positive symptoms pretty much shows that u r a schizophrenic

1 Like

I don’t have positive symptoms either. And it’s been 10 years since I was diagnosed. But I’m still schizophrenic with all that entails. I.e. negative and cognitive symptoms that prevent me from doing anything productive.

2 Likes

I work and enjoy life, but I feel it will never be like nothing happened to me because that would be impossible. But I don’t think I would believe in things that are not real anymore.

1 Like

I had been very stable for weeks and I thought I had “beaten” the illness. I thought I didn’t really need the antipsychotics anymore…

Then, just a few days ago, I had a major psychotic break. It was not triggered by anything. It was just totally unexpected. It was frightening. It made me realize how much I rely on the medication and how important it is that I keep on taking it.

So, I’m sorry, but no…I don’t think you should stop taking the antipsychotics, because you want to avoid a psychotic episode or possibly worse. It’s great that your medication is working well. If I were you I would feel lucky and I would never be without the medication. Until there’s a cure, we must keep taking the antipsychotics because we know too well how unwell we can be without it.

2 Likes

Wait, so how long has it been since you’ve had an episode and/or positive symptoms? Have you had more than one psyc episode?

1 Like

I have not heard voices for about 3 or 4 years and I rarely get delusions. I think I just keep getting better too. I can go a couple of months without having any delusions, and I think maybe they could just go away completely? I was quite bad for years when I heard voices though.

Oh ok. So it sounds like you had some serious symptoms for quite a while. I’m no doctor but you might want to stay on them. Sounds like you are doing a lot better and it would suck to go back to that.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.