What do you think of the UK trailing the universal basic income

Everyone working or non working would get set amount.

4 Likes

I’m against it.

The money will come from us taxpayers anyway.

3 Likes

I’m going for it… because even when I am working it will help a little at least… but i can see people abusing the system which is never good either.

2 Likes

Definitely in favor. Obviously if there is a guaranteed minimum amount of money in circulation then that would lend stability to the economy. The keynesian thinking is correct that economic recession and depression is caused by lack of money circulating.

3 Likes

idk if i am a fan bc i always thought the money should go to those who need it most and not topping up anyone’s wages for no reason like that.

1 Like

Yes! We have the capability to produce goods and services in abundance. One of the problems of the future will be matching those goods with money to buy them. The current inflation is due to bottlenecks is the supply chain, and it should diminish once we straighten that out. I don’t think everyone should get the same amount, though. People who work should get more.

2 Likes

Really hope it happens within my life time <3

1 Like

The most realistic way I see it happening is that everyone is guaranteed 2k a month and if they are making more than that they get nothing extra. Also to appease cons there might be strings attached that you have to be actively looking for work and not committing legal offenses etc.

1 Like

What about people who can’t work?

1 Like

The way they talk about UBI here is it replaces old age security, pension, disability, and unemployment insurance, and welfare. So it would eliminate the separate bureaucratic costs of administering all those programs. I don’t know how it will work, but I guess some people will be exempt from job search if they can prove disability.

2 Likes

I guess taxes would go up and they would have to be pretty high to sustain it, I’m just thinking how it will be payed for?

1 Like

The gov of developed nations already spends billions on social security. UBI streamlines all programs into one.

3 Likes

Think theyd get other support on top of basic income.

makes me think it will mean less for current recipients if everyone is to get the same, like if say £50bn was spent on govt benefits atm i’m guessing they would be spreading that amount out across everyone.

1 Like

I thought they were thinking about trialing it in Wales?

1 Like

Some people might end up getting less if they had generous benefits before the UBI project, I’m not sure.

2 Likes

They’ll be getting the old scales out and weighing up every penny lol,

2 Likes

You can only mitigate system abuse in society - look how tax loopholes are abused by the rich. We basic people do taxes like normal people. Rich people have experts doing their taxes so they don’t pay in the US at least.

Did not know UBI might be a thing in the UK.

1 Like

My advice would be in 2022 work as much as you can and make as much as possible. That wouldnt always be my advice historically. The future is very very uncertain for anyone at this point.

San francisco in my experience has come to a point where everyone has two jobs billionaires also have two jobs. Money was never my goal and I hate how the ways of the world right now force everyone to focus so much on money. Everyone is a vampire and alot of even the richest folks aren’t happy.