What do you think of having kids in forties?

I read that if only one parent has sz there is only a 10% chance that the kid gets sz. But it goes up to 50% I think if both parents have it.

1 Like

I don’t see a problem with it. As long as you have the energy and patience for it still. You take a risk with children having some abnormality or disease no matter what age have them at.

1 Like

Great I think I’ll freeze eggs soon.

It’s a balancing act. On the one hand you are more likely to have improvement in your schizophrenia and be better able to take care of things. On the other hand the kid’s more likely to have birth defects. Plus believe me at 40 you will be more like a Grandparent than a parent. But if you haven’t had kids yet and that’s a major goal for you I don’t see otherwise why not.

My Sis is early forties and has Menopause

I was 30 when I had my first and I thought that was a late start. I was shorter on energy but wiser and I think it paid off in some of the challenges I faced. But I would have never made it through if I would have started later, the energy just wouldn’t have been there. It’s exhausting raising a family.

My mom got me when she was 39

1 Like

My OBGYN basically told me time’s a tickin’ when it comes to me having kids. Unsolicited, by the way :upside_down_face:.

Ideally, I’d like to have kids before 40. But I also want to enjoy spending time with my boyfriend before we decide to start trying for kiddos.

1 Like

What age are you?

Hmmmm… Well I remember the 90’s vividly, if that helps :sweat_smile:.

But as far as your situation goes, freezing eggs could be a good idea.

It’s something I myself haven’t yet considered, but it seems like a smart move.

…Is it expensive to do?

1 Like

3500 in the Uk including everything and 10 year storage.

1 Like

It’s never too late to be a good parent. It all depends on you and your own energy levels, health, and limits. I am friends with a couple in their 50s who just adopted a baby.

It honestly kind of sucks socially being a super young parent, more than being an older parent. When I try to make friends with the other parents of Starlet’s friends, they mostly don’t want to hang out with someone 10 years younger than them.

1 Like

I am in my mid 40s male single and ready to mingle fast, wanna get married but not getting bcoz of joblessness. I wanna get married and have kids as I love kids.

1 Like

I had the chance of having kids many times in the past but decided to not to bcz of sz. My gf almost cried to me many times telling me she doesnt want to take contraceptive pills anymore and she wants to be pregnant of me. I was violent and psychotic back then and unmedicated but hid all these from my gf by seeing her much less as time passed.

I didn’t feel mature enough to have kids and I didnt have the money, wasnt on disability, was in university and couldnt hold a job. I dont want my kids to have a poor life with the risk of having my violent sz, my kid might even end up killing me.

Also after being medicated I got severe negative symptoms which makes me stay in bed most of my time. My gf finally lost patience with me after 5 yrs we left each other. She said I dont want kids, I dont want to pay half the rent and live with her, I started doing nothing in my life, not working, not studying, etc I was making her depressed.

I am saying this bcz off meds I get thoughts of killing my parents and brothers.

Not every sz is violent

1 Like

Yea true but some like me are off meds. If my meds didnt work I would have ended up in prison or killed myself.

I don’t know if I would be able to settle down and get married as soon as I would like to. If I have the chance to have kids earlier than in my forties I would prefer to but things don’t always work out as planned.

Your energy is going to drop off in your forties and more in your fifties. Makes it tougher to keep up with energetic young ones.