What do you look for in a psych doc

So like I’ve been looking for a therapist recently and I feel stuck. The one I had been seeing threw me out after 3 years pretty suddenly. And I’ve been looking for a new one ever since…

Unfortunately I keep finding ones I either just don’t click with or are just flat out terrible.

So like do any of you have specific things you look for in a pdoc/therapist?? Any suggestions of how to find a good one??

Look for teeth. That way you can tell if one of his homeless patients is impersonating him while he’s out of his office.

2 Likes

I look for a psychiatrist that encourages you to follow your dreams. I searched for a year until I found a psychiatrist that said he believed I can get a doctorate in math so he even prescribed me adderall to help me study and said he hoped to see me as a doctor one day. Look for a doctor that helps you follow your dreams.

2 Likes

I know you don’t like pdoc’s Noise. I’m just taking the ones I have, as they are in short supply here. Good luck finding one.

2 Likes

Good listener
Empathetic
Extreme kindness
Competence

These are what I look for in a pdoc.
I don’t believe in therapists.

3 Likes

compassion. someone who talks less and listens more.

3 Likes

I need to feel comfortable to be open with them.

Smart.

3 Likes

I look for competence and compassion in a psychiatrist.

I look for the same in a therapist.

2 Likes

I want them to be kind and caring and not burned out. I also look for them to be very knowledgeable in treatment methods

1 Like

Someone who is different and strong personality.

1 Like

i need pdoc to be open to things. not like focused on particular stuff. Like wants to look for all stuff that is going on in your life and makes decision based on that, not want to be done with it too quickly.

1 Like

Frankly in all the ones ive had (and they change frequently) - one that agrees with me when i wanna up or lower my dosages. Im the one suffering with this disease and taking them - so i expect them to take my opinion seriously.

1 Like

By psych doc do you mean clinical psychologist or pdoc?

I ask because in my experience pdoc consultations are completely different to therapist appointments

1 Like

As I have no say in which pdoc I see I don’t look for anything re choosing who I do or don’t see. I do hope for certain things i.e he/she is polite,reasonable, intelligent,not into character assassination,not dismissive.

1 Like

I prefer female doctors and therapists. Most of my experiences with male pdocs have been very negative.

1 Like

my pdoc is male and he is really nice… but i think i got lucky with him…

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.