What do you do? I feel stuck

I don’t mean it in a pressured way, there is no judgement here. But what do you do, day by day, week by week?

I have been waiting for psychotherapy since January. Yup, it is now November and I’m still waiting for “help”. My mental health has kind of plummeted that past couple of months. I volunteer in a charity shop 2 mornings a week but even just doing that stresses me out. I might just not go tomorrow. People tell me to go, I will feel better, but I don’t.
I don’t really enjoy anything.

1 Like

Why can’t you get into an appointment?

don’t you hate the bossy women in these volunteer jobs

or is it just me?

Because mental health care here is all about waiting. You get referred to something/someone and get put on a waiting list which can take months. Lack of qualified therapists, lack of funding into MH services from the government. It sucks.

Wow that sucks. What country are you from, if you don’t mind me asking?

I had to do GP for awhile, he did all my meds and evals

I was thankful

1 Like

Yeah I’ve had to wait before while they trained a therapist or whatever it sucks

Why don’t you try working with animals, it’s very rewarding and relaxing
And the animals will appreciate it
Read a good book
Join a community Ctr
I go to a place called project return it’s in tampa fl anybody out their in the area during should look it up
Take swimming lessons or aqua aerobics
Got to go my hand’s tired
Good luck
Keep searching
The sky’s the limit

1 Like

Wow, it really sucks that you’ve been waiting that long for an appointment. I’d say if the volunteer work is making you feel worse then don’t do it. It can be rewarding for some, but you have to consider how it’s affecting you. I understand how it is not to enjoy anything. I often feel that i’m just going through the motions in life and nothing really feels good or right. My strategy is to take it one day at a time and try to distract myself. I listen to music, i watch videos, i try to do something to occupy myself so i’m not just sitting around stewing in it all. But even that doesn’t always work. I wish i had better advice for you. Good luck in your recovery.

1 Like

I waited a year in the end to see a psychologist. I hope you get to see someone soon and it helps you.

1 Like

Hang in there and keep trying. It is hard in some places to get the help you may need.

I’m really good at dealing with people on the phone. I can pretty much talk myself into most things and I don’t let anyone sell me short. I’ll just keep trying till I get some sort of result from those public or private institutions.

For me I always used my mother as a backup especially for social security. If I was feeling off she could deal with them ( she was really good because she worked there and knew all the legislation!) so might pay to get a close family member to go into bat for you! It can make a difference.

I know it’s hard depending on where you live but ring people and annoy the heck out of them! They are more likely to get you through simply to make their job easier!

I just go to school two days a week , do 2 online classes on top of that, I study marketing and go on walks. I been having trouble lately too so I feel your pain. I am also on a waitlist for therapy and hopefully it’ll be 2 months at most I have to wait for it. I’m also still waiting on getting my sleep disorder treated. That sleep disorder has been really lowing the quality of my life and the treatment may not even help me

I hope we can both get to our psychotherapy. I’m terribly sorry you have had to wait so long for it.

1 Like

I’m still living with my parents and my dad pays for my psychiatrist and psychologist appointments out of pocket, but the meds are paid for completely bi SSI. Currently I’m taking four classes and volunteering two days a week. Just driving to campus and back takes at least two hours if not three. I’ve started exercising on an exercise bike almost every day of the week now for the past month or so.

1 Like

I second what @Marie2 said about working with animals. Why not volunteer at a shelter? That would be so rewarding and volunteering means you’re not tied down to it if you don’t feel up to it. At the end of the day you know what’s best for you, if you feel stressed out by doing something, it’s not worth it. You’ll find something you enjoy, just don’t give up!

1 Like

I am from England. I’ve given up asking for help (professional help), they all just tell me to talk to someone else. I’ve got this far with my own strength and lots of support from my family and boyfriend.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.