What do you do during therapy?

I always feel awful after therapy and am probably going to stop. Any kind of self-analysis just reminds me of my numerous flaws and also takes time away from my other responsibilities, adding to my stress. If you find therapy useful, how do you spend your time in each session or in between sessions? Supposedly “the unexamined life is not worth living” but examining my life tends to make me unhappy. I find it better to just stay busy with tasks that I can do and not reflect too much on the big picture.

2 Likes

My therapy this past year has been on the phone she just lets me talk and talk, like talking to a brick wall. But at least I get it all out there I guess.

1 Like

I have 2 therapist, a wellness coach who praises me for all my accomplishments and helps me grow with cutting down cigs, excerise, and over coming my toxic Relationships… my 2nd is a peer support where I vent my week and get coping skills for anxiety

1 Like

I love my Therapist, it’s just like spending an hour with a good friend. I look at it as a social outing.

3 Likes

If you feel awful after therapy you might need a new therapist. Therapy is suppose to help you feel better, not the opposite! My therapist helps me find coping skills to overcome my issues. And she helps me determine if my thoughts are more delusional thinking/paranoia, or if they’re appropriate/accurate thoughts.

1 Like

We just talk about what is going on in my life, and my therapist sometimes offers advice about what to do.

I’m in an intensive therapy program. We have huge binders full of life skills to regulate emotion we learn from. I’m working on skills for my intense anxiety. I fill out a diary card they give me every day and once a week I turn it in so we can discuss what skills I used, whether or not I’m improving, and other possible skills to try.

2 Likes

The therapist helps me identify problems, but also gives me strategies for working on them. I only work on one thing at a time.

My therapist is very encouraging. He also helps me with behavioral strategies.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.