Schizophrenia.com

What Do People With Schizophrenia Do All Day? Ecological Momentary Assessment of Real-World Functioning in Schizophrenia

6 Likes

I do very little except be on the computer or watch tv. I interact with my stepdaughter and granddaughters, the lady who cleans my flat and the nurse who does my depot once a month. That’s about it . I seldom go out other than doing shopping .

3 Likes

Same Im just on the computer all day.

2 Likes

I’m just in front of the computer or watch Tv all day. I smoke really a lot. In some days I would not have enough data volume on my GigaCube. So I will lay in bed and listen to radio for some weeks.

1 Like

I have been doing a course two days a week. Apart from that I have various hobbies that keep me occupied like painting warhammer or Yu-Gi-Oh! I also play on the switch and PlayStation. Walk the dog. My partner has the same interests as me so we do them together.

Yeah that’s how I spend my time currently. But I have had periods of time of just sitting and doing nothing for months. It was hell. I had no motivation.

1 Like

I spend a lot of time online, listen to the radio. try to exercise 5 days a week, prepare one meal each day. I have chores I have to do, like do the dishes, take out the trash, mow the yard. it’s such a job getting me motivated to do my chores. that’s about all I do. I spend most of my time at home, I go out about once a week to get groceries.

I also spend a significant amount of time sitting on the porch smoking a cigarette. I do this whenever I need a change of scenery.

1 Like

Honestly half the time I’m like veging out, so I’ll be sitting on the couch with my cat near by, and I may be listening to music in the background or aimlessly browsing the internet. When I’m not doing that, I knit. This is the only hobby I really have. Right now I’m focusing on school / work, both which are very part-time. I will run the odd errand if I’m up to it.

1 Like

I’m on my iPhone all day long.
But lately I’m busy with family matters.

1 Like

Back when I first got diagnosed, I went from loving my job as a manual laborer to being in bed all day every day. My mother would always judge me for it, I thought I was just the only one. Some years later after finding another fellow schizophrenic and this forum I found out I was not the only one who felt this fatigue, so that is always nice. But yes now all I do is lay in bed, drink coffee and smoke cigarettes. But when I’m productive like today, I do laundry, go to my doctors appointments, etc etc.

1 Like

I currently tried work but it didn’t work for me so now I’m back to having a very very chilled out day to the core lol.
So that involves 12 hours+ sleep, browsing internet, studying and going for walks with a 5% inclination at the gym.

2 Likes

It’s tough finding things to do but I try to at least go out like take a 1-2 hr bus ride to town and get a bubble tea or go for a gym run if I’m bored. I have a part time job but it’s really not that many hours. I also attend very many support groups, see friends, go on the internet a lot, will be attending day treatment once per week for transition care. Would really like to drive more, do more chores, have more concentration for movies, and hike more. Even still, I feel depressed with how bad my functioning is. I wish I were normal.

1 Like

I pray, read, be on computer, talk on the phone, meditate, play the piano, do yoga, play with my cat, volunteer, talk with my nurse (who does my depot shot), take piano lessons, eat, bathe, shop, attend Church, sleep.

2 Likes

I do nothing apart from scroll the internet. I try to do other things such as work, but I find it difficult to maintain interest for long. Motivation levels are my major problem. That, and social anxiety.

2 Likes

Me too.

1 Like

The way these things are written makes them almost unreadable to me.

I spend my time playing WoW or browsing the internet. I also like posting here and watching shows/movies. I’m on federal disability so I have a lot of time to fill.

1 Like

I spend most of my time doing a bunch of nothing. I don’t work, and I don’t think I reliably can. I no longer get up to really do anything. Almost all of my time is spent in bed sleeping. I need to push myself, and I keep saying I will, but I just don’t.

Also, I’d like to mention that the discrepancy in activity level and family situation does not necessarily prove a positive correlation. I didn’t read the whole article- it may specify that- but in case it doesn’t say it, there it is.

1 Like

There would probably be a lot of things, you could do if insecure trouble makers weren’t always trying to make you worse, so dumb people could feel smarter

2 Likes

I work 2 days a week. I sleep a lot, listen to music, go out for walks, meet up with family or friends, learn Spanish, scroll on my phone, and (unfortunately) talk to my voices.

1 Like

about a year ago or so i lived in a group home for the disabled 3 of us were schizophrenic and the other 2 were older guys that im not really sure what they lived with. but each day we had a routine… meds were given out each day at certain times the first being at 7am and at this time you could also start cooking breakfast at 7am… meal time for breakfast was from 7am to 9am and the first group of the day was at 9am. during these groups we usually would sit at a round table and talk about what the topic was that the care giver decided to talk about that was usually about how to better cope with symptoms. we had about a 2 hour break to mingle or leave the building and go wherever we wanted… every time we left we were encouraged to sign a log book that had our name and time we left and the location of where we would be so that the staff would know where we were and if possible when we would be back. at 11am lunch started and ended at 1pm. there was another group at noon that we did and most of these groups throughout the day were about 1 hour long. most of the times like i said it was about mental health awareness and learning more about symptoms that we dealt with or just personal life experiences that we had encountered if we volunteered to share with the group. then from 1pm to 4pm we had another break of doing whatever we wanted for our day… at 4pm this was the afternoon meds line for anyone who had to take meds 3 times a day. Then at 5pm was dinner. we had a schedule of who was going to cook each day and on wednesdays at 9 am group we would go around and see who wanted to volunteer to cook what days of the next week and if they werent at the 9am group we would pick what we would eat for them. whoever cooked also had to clean up the kitchen and dishes and clean the dining room and table. usually the cook would start working on dinner at about 430 typically. then at 7pm there was night meds and the last group of the day, with dinner ending from 5pm to 7pm too. at one point there was some issues with people getting into the refridgerator at non designated times who were eating outside of meal time and i was one of them. mainly because when i would get depressed i would sleep all day and not make it to any of the groups so when i would up at night i would go eat in the kitchen and one of the staff the only male person confronted me and told me that he was going to write me up but i rebuked him and said that i had not had anything to eat all day because i had been sleeping and that i did not care what he did, that i was going to eat something regardless. none of us were ever punished for eating outside of meal time even though they did put a note on the fridge that said that after 3 writeups we would be asked to leave the program.
on the weekends on saturday’s at 9am we would pick our chores for the week from a list that we would do about 2 or 3 different things like, sweep the entrances, clean all the cabinet doors in the kitchen, water the plants, sweep the parking lot and sidewalks, vacuum the entire floor which was the living room, dining room and hallway, empty the cigarette butt basket which was a coffee can (i dont smoke cigs - however on occasion if i was out of dip i might have some cigs). Every thursday night the staff would unlock the laundry room cabinet and set out all the cleaning materials so we could power clean our rooms and bathrooms for inspection on every friday. most of the time people would pass but there were some times when if we werent careful enough we would fail and have to have another inspection. and there were 6 rooms for 5 of us and the rooms were set up where you had basically a roommate but only shared the bathroom not the actual bedroom so if your roommate failed the inspection since you shared the bathroom then sometimes you had to be reinspected too.
also on saturdays at noon near around the beginning of when i lived there someone would cook lunch but that stopped later on. most of the time if we were not in group or something for the group home we would sit outside on the back porch which was part of a parking lot and my 2 friends who also lived there would smoke cigarettes and just joke around and talk about whatever came up, i formed a very deep bond with my roommate who was in his early 20s while i was in late 20s… sometimes people would just stay in their rooms and not go to groups but like the last 6 months or so of me living there my state actually had a major budget cut to health services so the company who ran the group home eventually went bankrupt and i think like 3 to 6 months the entire staff went without paychecks because the company couldnt pay wages. apparently they had done that a year or 2 before but this time they ended up going bankrupt and shutting down.
living in a group home… there was always something happening and if you needed to talk about anything there was someone there to talk to you 24/7. and as far as health benefits it was probably the best kind of care i have ever received for my schizoaffective.

nowadays though most days of the week i just chill at home and get on the internet or read or listen to music or message people to chat. i still cook atleast 3 meals a day but most of the time its microwave stuff and not stuff i have ingredients for like the group home. doing my chores now though is a lot easier than what it use to be whenever i feel like a room is getting cluttered i just start picking up and taking care of it whereas when we had chores at the group home it felt more like a weight because we were doing it for the whole group and now that i do chores for myself it feels more beneficial.

2 Likes

I think having a regimen would help me too.

1 Like