What causes a pot belly and how do i make it better?

Any idea how to decrease the size of a pot belly back to a normal size?

what causes a pot belly and what can i do about it?

Eating fewer processed carbs helps.

2 Likes

Eat better, Exercise more.

4 Likes

Excess cortisol causes weight gain to be centered around the stomach. Eating right and exercising will help, but stress control is also important.

4 Likes

Avoid sugary drinks even with the artifical stuff
Avoid a sugary diet in general

2 Likes

3 Likes

what is cortisol? idk

@anon12381882 I am trying to cut down on everything atm.

i am trying to kind of fast,

Lol @anon49063606

@Wave i dont even know what a carb is lol

1 Like

I’ve read that the only way to get rid of a pot belly is to run.

2 Likes

Is that the only way? i’m not good at running :frowning:

i feel like if i started playing football, i’d die :frowning:

i heard pilates was good for that too but i couldnt keep up the routine, i couldnt commit to it

1 Like

Eat more sugar. You’ll have the best pot belly around.

1 Like

Cortisol is a stress hormone. Some people overproduce it because of stressful life situations or hormone disorders.

2 Likes

i wish i could just fix it

this is pilates but mostly women do it

if i do manage to lose the fat, how do i keep it off?

I am such a wreck :frowning:

I’m so fed up of this fat unhealthy body :frowning:

Consume less calories than you burn

Or

Burn more calories than you consume

3 Likes

@Resilient1, Alcohol consumption is a big reason for pot bellies in men. I would say quit drinking beer and alcohol.

4 Likes

Imo fasting is not a good approach. Moderation in all things.

1 Like

@Resilient1 maybe you could do some research into exercise and come up with reasonable exercise routines and a weekly plan.

Also, goal setting is helpful. How much weight do you want to lose? How long do you plan on it taking?

1 Like

I decided to just accept myself with a pot belly as I am. Several of my friends on AP meds have the exact same pot belly as I have. About 3 years ago I made an appointment with an endocrinologist to find out what hormones were causing this. She had no idea and told me to go on a diabetes diet. I do not have diabetes.
My pot belly was very pronounced and excessive. I had it for many years. I was not in the mood for exercise. Now after all these years my weight is spontaneously going down. I have lost about 17 pounds in 3 months. I see doctors who have been a little concerned, but they also say weight loss is very good for me.
There can be very gradual changes with diet, but that too has many problems. Do you eat when you are extremely hungry? I think almost anyone would.

2 Likes

I hardly drink any alcohol

I want to do this, its just very hard to commit to it, i find myself trying things in the past and not being able to stick to it, i might ask my friend to be a gym buddy bc i’d love someone to go on the punch bag with.

I’d like to lose 3 stone ideally but i’d settle for 1 stone in about a year, i’d be happy with that but i really want to tone myself, my main goal is to lose wieght and tone my tummy and bum.

I am trying to stop the habit of eating when i think it is required and just trying to listen to my body, eating less, cutting portion size but not starving.

1 Like

Burn calories, or have a caloric deficit of 500 = 1lb of fat per week.

Aerobic exercises are best, though one study found that for teenagers strength training is best so i imagine it is some what true for adults as well.

Ive gained a belly in the last year or two and its decreased some since I started walking everyday.

Realistically you could get rid of it pretty quickly with mild effort, for me if i did 40 minutes of exercise a day and stuck to a 500 calory deficient diet Id say Id lose my belly in 6-8 weeks.

1 Like

I’m going to try going to the gym and using the punch bag, I like punching and kicking things bc it helps me to de-stress as well. I’m going to ask my friend if he wants to go with me

2 Likes