What can you tell me about Loxapine?

This is a completely new med to me, I know nothing about loxapine. I’m worried about it turning me into a zombie like Haldol did. I’m also worried about weight gain. What do you all know about this med? I’m starting at 25mg and will possibly go to 50mg if needed.

1 Like

I lost weight while on loxapine. I took 50 mg at night and 25 in the morning. It’s currently on backorder so I had to switch meds. Otherwise I would have stayed on it.

1 Like

Where was it on back order at? My pharmacy had it but only one pharmacy(of the same grocery store) in my area did so I had to drive farther to get it.

1 Like

It produces a tricyclic antidepressant called amoxapine as it goes through metabolism. It’s structurally similar to clozapine, but that in no way should be taken to mean it acts like clozapine. Otherwise, they’d be the same med. A lot of people get hung up on that fallacy that loxapine will work wonders like clozapine. It doesn’t. It can be sedating for some, but in general is a very mild and easy med to tolerate.

1 Like

I’m in Michigan and couldn’t get it refilled

1 Like

Oh okay I just looked it up and looks like most med companies expect to have it back in stock no later than November 2020. I’m in Phoenix, Az and I was able to get 30 25mg tablets but it was the only Frys pharmacy in the whole valley that had any. My normal pharmacy estimated they would have it in in October 20th.

1 Like

I’m in AZ too. It’s been ■■■■■■■ hot as balls.

2 Likes

I just left Arizona. The heat was a major factor. This year was just too damn hot.

Broke records for sure.

1 Like

It damn sure did. I left in August, and I’m shocked that the heat persisted so long.

It was still 97 today, but the mornings and nights have been getting nicer

Good grief. Almost November and still flirting with 100 degrees. Where I am it’s 60s in the day and 40s at night.

2 Likes

It’s been a brutal summer. I just moved down to Arizona on May 30th this year. Just in time for the heat.

1 Like

Sorry you had to come face-to-face with it like that. I moved there in 2004 and got used to it, but this past summer was I think the worst on record. Welcome to Arizona!! Ugh.

1 Like

Yes we broke records this summer. It was brutal. I’m welcoming the temps in the 90s with open arms!

1 Like

Ah yes, when it’s 90 and everyone gets so excited. You’ll love the winter. 70s all day for about 5 months. There was hardly any monsoon activity this year so it just sucked. Can’t believe I’ve been gone 2.5 months now.

Loxapine worked for my voices, and it was the only med that didn’t make me gain weight.

Now I’m concerned. I contacted my pharmacy just to see and it sounds like the 50mg tablets are on back order still. Not a good sign if my doc eventually wants to see me on the 50s. Might have to take two 25s in the meantime.

I couldn’t get either so at least you still have a chance at getting what you need.

1 Like