Schizophrenia.com

What can u do if u are sensitive

I feel unsettled today. I guess it is related to the fact that I’ve met the boss and we talked today. Since I’m now working in the same office with my mom, everybody seems to know a lot about my history and my present. Mom said she told every single person she knew about my disorder. Even strangers got to know it. So the boss talked a lot about what she had heard about me. It is odd to hear so much about myself from strangers. Today mom told them I’m dying for a relationship. I have never told her anything like this. I think she put words into my mouth. I haven’t get used to my label and still feel uneasy with it.

The boss told me she wanted me to work for her in accounting on a long term basis. Idk if I should be happy. I don’t like accounting, I’m doing this only because I got trapped into this situation. I have got degrees and certificates. But I’m doing a job I don’t put any of those into use.

The boss makes me work with someone who is kind of difficult. She wanted me to take over part of the job of a clerk. She said she cannot rely on that person.

Back in the office, I had a better job arrangement last week when this clerk was away from work for a few days for no reasons. The manager gave me paid lunch break and longer work hours. When the clerk comes back this week, she insisted to cut my work hours to the minimum and did not allow me to have paid lunch break. She claims that otherwise she would have a lot more work to do as she would be required to arrange for provident funds for me. She said she needed to make sure my status is a part time.

I feel a little sad and I think i can expect a lot of emotions at work.

I don’t know why your mom would tell everyone you are a schiz. That’s ■■■■■■■ stupid, in my opinion. Only my family knows and a few close friends. I wouldn’t tell someone I just met, or the whole office.

She wants you to get stigmatized?

2 Likes

Wow. I thought it was bad when my mom would tell people the childhood nickname she gave me. I’m not sure I could handle all that you’re going through.

Oh, and no one will ever know what that nickname was. :blush:

1 Like

I’m sorry your Mom is telling everyone and not even asking you if you wanted everyone to know or not.

I bet it is stressful to be in a new job with all this going on. It’s hard enough to even be in a new job, now your in a new job with your Mom and all this.

To try and score you a girl friend? I would be really upset if my MOM tried to get involved in my dating life. (Not that I really have one; but still…)

I hope this is only temporary. You can still look for a job you want while making money at this job. As you get more confident you can talk to someone and get your paid lunch back. I know it must feel like a nowhere situation. But you don’t have to stay there forever. Nothing says you can’t still look for a job you like.

I’m rooting for you.

1 Like

My Mom told the next door neighbor at the last place we lived at, that I suffered from bipolar disorder. She told her without my consent. She softened the diagnosis by leaving out the schizophrenia part of my disorder.
The neighbor, once she knew I had a mental illness, was phony nice to me but always was suspicious of my intentions. She once indirectly blamed me for taking all of the the Halloween candy she left out on her porch for the neighborhood kids.
I saw who took it, and was dumb enough to tell my mom, who in turn called up the neighbor, who basically blamed it on me. You might want to have a heart to heart talk with your Mom if possible.

2 Likes

For some weird reason I’m really open about it and tell everyone I meet. My sis won’t and I do give her a hard time about it. Her friends are sometimes in our home so I figure if your on my sofa, you may was well know…

My Mom will tell a few people and I guess it’s the type of people she knows, but I do sometimes cringe when she tells the people in her circle. That does make me uneasy which is silly because I tell a lot of people. But then, I chose to tell those people. Mom’s circle is very different then my surfer bum friend and the broken people my sister collects.

1 Like

Wow, that sounds messed up. I’ve had similar things happen to me, although not that bad, and I was insanely mad about it. I would want to leave the job out of embarrassment and anger.

1 Like

One way of looking at it is that she might have done it with good intentions, hoping that by doing so she’ll have paved the way for you. The boss sounds like she doesn’t have a problem with you working there.

Still, way embarrassing.

2 Likes

I agree, the intentions were probably good, but it was wrong to do.

1 Like

People talk about the people they know. I was sitting at a bar next to a girl that we figured out we went to high school together. Kind of as a joke I said. Did you ever hear of that guy who went schizophrenic? and she got a worried look on her face. Then I said, I think his name was Cary Schroeder? And she busted out laughing. Funny thing was I never had a conversation with her or knew any of her friends from High school. Unfortunately, people well say no one knows, but people like my brother I know talks about my disorder. Like when I was homeless or in jail. And those people tell other people, etc.

2 Likes

Yeah thats exactly what I think about the situation…stupid on your mom’s part to tell everyone. Sigh, what can you do, she’s done ■■■■■■ up.

Im really sorry about this, but at least you have a job, which is great! I would not be happy if someone told everyone who didnt need to know about my condition.

I plan on working in the mental heath field so my employers will know, but thats sort of why I want to work there; they will understand my condition and my medications and such and see that I am all patched up and symptom free. They see people with schizophrenia, not just schizophrenics. I like to think that there is a difference.

1 Like

this is the only advantage to our schizophrenia. is that you can’t tell on our face. you want to be a normal joe blow, not the resident “schiz” of the office. the problem with people is that they always talk ■■■■. the crap i’ve overheard walking around on campus, maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan…
and they will just be gossiping you, trust me. how the hell is that going to get you a girlfriend?

i’d just stop working there if you could.

1 Like

I’m sorry that your mom telling people has made you feel so unsettled. People that I worked with knew that my son had schizophrenia. I received support and understanding. If I had to take extra phone calls or spend work time doing other things then my bosses were understanding why. They allowed me the use of work items for faxing etc. Still do even though I have not worked there for over a year. Parents like to talk about there kids. Sometimes it is hard to do so without disclosing certain information. Give the job a chance. Some people may not be understanding but some may surprise you in how understanding they can be.

1 Like

I think maybe your mom had “good intentions” but that was hurtful to your stress levels at work, and your mom should protect your stress levels, not heighten it? I am sorry you have to work in that environment…a job is already not easy for a schizophrenic (my opinion)…hope everything works out for you goggles…

1 Like