What are your thoughts on keeping a pet while you're on disability?

I don’t take pride in being unable to care for my lovely dog and leaving her with my ex. I love her and knowing I left her breaks my heart. But it helps to know she is happier with him than she would be with me.

2 Likes

mmmm, getting teary eyed, honey.

I agree that being able to care properly for a pet is vital.

You have to take a dog out for a walk in all weather, take it out several times a day to do its business, and clean up after it. No days off for symptoms.

You have to feed it on a schedule, take it to the vet, keep it up to date on shots.

An unexpected illness or injury can easily cost you hundreds of dollars or more.

If you go on a trip, are admitted to the hospital, are otherwise unable to care for the dog, you need to have someone lined up to step in for you.

Dogs can be messy and destructive, they need consistent, firm guidance. Lack of that makes them anxious and sometimes aggressive.

I agree with @Daze that having something to care for can motivate some people to get it together, but I have seen enough neglected animals to know that that’s far from a usual occurrence.

I can keep cats, who don’t need or want outdoor time and are content to sit on my lap while I read. I can enjoy my roommate’s dogs, but when she goes out of town, they get boarded, because I’m not capable of looking after them even for a couple of days.

I definitely don’t want to imply that being a good dog owner is out of reach, but it is a huge commitment, one that can last a decade or more.

3 Likes

I think everyone is misunderstanding me,
I guess my English was incorrect

What I want to ask was is it ethically ok to keep a pet when the government gives you all the money to live, while there are people who earn money by themselves and pay their taxes and no money left for a pet?

Idk maybe my thoughts are weird but there’s lots of stigma on people with a disability who keeps a pet with money from government

In that case I don’t see a problem, why should we deprive ourselves of a pet love because some people think people with disabilities are less than human?

And as an ethics case, it doesn’t even make sense why we shouldn’t, quite the opposite.

4 Likes

If it’s a matter of ethics, I think that if you’re emotionally, physically, mentally and financially able to give a good home to a dog, and you want to do so, the ethical thing to do is to provide that home to a dog that might not otherwise have one.

There are a lot of homeless dogs out there. You’ll spend that money anyway, so why not spend it on something that needs your help?

3 Likes

I want to keep a tortoise… I’m looking for one that needs a new home but I can’t find one and I might end up buying one from a pet store.

Idk maybe I need to keep looking

2 Likes

:smile_cat: Definitely keep a tortoise! I can’t see anything wrong with that at all.

1 Like

Just know , a tortoise will out live you

I guess you can pass it on to family/kids

Never heard of a tortoise as a pet, only turtles :smile:

I’ve reading up on them lately and am 90% confident in taking care of one
But there are a few more things to think about for the 10% to be fully confident…

1 Like

The average lifespan of the kind of tortoise I want to keep is 20-30 years, so if I keep a young one it’ll live til I’m 67.

1 Like

Oh gotchya

Always think of tortoises as living til 130 years old :wink:

1 Like