What are your thoughts about having less? Inflation

I get the marked impression that inflation will only continue for the foreseeable future. It’s probably partially to do with Covid. I don’t know if wage increases will keep up with inflation.

Could there be a silver lining to it? Does having less buying power power also mean that we will maybe reduce our impact on the environment? Producing things has a significant impact on greenhouse gases.

Or are you of the persuasion that more is better regardless?

3 Likes

Hey, that’s a great way to look at it @Bowens-- hadn’t occurred to me until you said that.

Gotta love trees :+1: :evergreen_tree:

2 Likes

Guessing it will be the opposite. We used to buy organic, locally sustainable stuff from local small businesses. Now, we can’t afford it. We order off amazon or we buy whatever is on sale, which is usually mass-produced, covered in plastic packaging, and been shipped long distances.

3 Likes

I don’t generally believe inflation is a good thing either. Especially for lower income folks or folks with large families who aren’t necessarily buying lots of luxury items. Just a thought that there might come some good from it.

1 Like

Yeah. I know we are feeling the squeeze, but we are in the income bracket where it’s more like “gee we better not upgrade our phones or buy the new gaming console” and like “we can get store brand ice cream”

1 Like

Inflation hasn’t hit me yet. I guess vacations abroad are going to be more expensive so instead of having 4 a year I’ll have to cut it down to only 3 per year.

1 Like

sometimes less is more

3 Likes

I’ve heard theories that inflation may drive up the price of cryptocurrency. My crypto is currently worth a lot more than what I have in real life so inflation could benefit me. I live with my parents. our house, my van, their cars, everything is paid for. I have everything I need so I am not concerned about having less, of course there are some things i would like to have but I’ve learned to manage on a limited budget and I am content for the time being. Rising food and gas prices hurt but as long as they don’t become insane I think I will be okay.

2 Likes

I’m not an extravagant person who buys 100 shoes, designer handbags, and expensive perfumes, but I’d like another $200 a month so I could cover rising food costs, get a cat, and buy new clothes. LOL, I’ve got two pairs of running shoes, one pair of sandals, one pair of dress shoes, and a new pair of boots for the winter. I’ve lost weight and need pants that fit better, but money is tight since I bought a new pair of winter boots, a good kind that will last more than one year.

1 Like

I think it hurts the middle class the most.

1 Like

A slight amount of inflation is good for the economy as it gives a nudge to spend and consume. Too much inflation created a wage-inflation spiral where inflation puts pressure on wages and higher wages result in a new peak in inflation which puts again pressure on wages. This until inflation is out of control. That’s why central banks intervene with higher interest rates to counter too high inflation (that’s all I remember - I studied Economics 15 years ago)

1 Like

I spend all my money either way. I’m a great consumer. I don’t really notice having less yet.

2 Likes

Hopefully it will not be the hyper inflation as it is in some countries such as Venezuela where their currency has no value. I do not see any sign of inflation here yet, even coffee prices are not rising although it was told they would because of some climate troubles in the coffee production countries such as Brazil.

1 Like

I love the simple pleasures in life, so I don’t mind budgeting. As long as I have my husband, a house, books, coffee, charity shop clothes and food, I’m happy.

1 Like

lol, I’m in the same boat. I only have 2 pairs of jeans that I bought maybe 10 years ago when I was fat. I have since lost over 75lbs and they are way to big now, they fall down without a belt. I also need a new belt. I had to take a hammer and nail and put a new hole in the belt so I could hold up my pants. The problem is I don’t really have the money to buy 2 new pairs of jeans and a new belt so I just make do, but my jeans are a little too baggy now.

1 Like

Putting a new hole in the belt was clever thinking. :smiley: Sorry to hear you have to wear baggy pants too.

2 Likes

Some people spend some not.
I like that i have savings for future.

1 Like

I was a minimalist for years. Had no property or much money for a long time, usually just had bikes and about a backpack full of stuff.

2 Likes

I feel I am more self-sufficient coz I live on a small “general assistence” check plus a pittance for food stamps. Yet I make it work, food banks, mission meals, food giveaways, here it’s not that hard but unfortunately the actual on-site outreaches to the really impaired are just few. Perhaps I should volunteer, or (ummm) establish an outreach for the local sz/sza/??? homeless community that due to symptoms can’t avail themselves of the services that might help them out. I (, hopefully,) may actually see if there’s something I can get involved with. Hmmm. Let me see.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.