What are the results of untreated schizophrenia?

sometimes i forgot how i was like when i on meds / when i was normal. It has been too far away from me , but i did knew i was fxxking crazy and abnormal but i can’t tell how …

I heard of people ignoring the voices and became functional while off meds whether you are one of those it’s hard to tell. However, according to articles online 50% do improve over time and 10% require no meds after 4 years

1 Like

For me it ended in a suicide attempt second time round

If you have positive symptoms then you need to take medication. For extreme negative symptom like catatonia also you need to take medication. The reason is in both the case you lose insight. On the other hand if you are aware of your issues and able to act accordingly without falling into emotions or feelings created by the illness then you can continue without the need of medication.

2 Likes

I know a man (I met him in group therapy). He was on meds for a short time when he was younger and now he’s not on meds. His therapist is always trying to convince him to take medication, but he doesn’t want. His behavior is inadequate sometimes and he says he has no friends or social life. He says that sometimes he’s not sure what is real or what is not real.

1 Like

If I didn’t take meds I’d be in a constant severe depression. Would have hectic mood swings and hear voices more. I wouldn’t be able to cope without meds. Would be too anxious and agitated

1 Like

They start talking about God and people believe in it all.

1 Like

@schizophrenick it is very unsafe to stop meds abruptly. I stopped an AP suddenly once. I’ve never experienced such a nightmare before or after in my life. I couldn’t sleep or eat and was just rolling around in bed wide awake highly psychotic thoughts racing spinning a fantastical story, kind of like dissociating. It lasted for 5 days. Then I was still heavily psychotic for weeks after. I had a terrible reaction to abruptly stopping. if you must stop meds, always always taper down.

2 Likes

I was told by the voice to call him. He lives in another country and wanted me to travel there. The phone number was like 20 digits long. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

It depends on how mean your voices are, but for the most part, you get used to it, and you just learn how to get by with it

1 Like

i was never on Aps for more than two weeks , and i had just taken them maybe 2-3 days i every 2-3 months and the last time was on feb , so it is not stopped abruptly… thanks for your advice anyway