What are the results of untreated schizophrenia?

i mean people with schizophrenia but who are untreated with medications / just for a short time then go on without meds for the rest of life , does anyone can share his/her experience here/ do you have friends/ see other live examples like this?

Its a lifelong illness. Its dangerous without meds especially if you were already on meds because the brain gets adapted to meds. Some go as far as killing others and/or themeselves when unmedicated. I was close to die drs said when I stopped my meds. They transferred me from the poison emergency to a mental hospital. I wasn’t functional and completely socially isolated when I stopped my meds. I was talking to myself.

It’s possible for some and misery for others.

Best to be medicated until your doctor thinks it’s time for you to try something different.

4 Likes

i agree especially when u have been taking the meds for quite a long time but how about those just taking them for very short period of time , never been taking them? i just wonder that and i was never on a long time of Aps so i am just quite curious about it . I am not stopping them as i were not on them yet.

Yea don’t ask the dr to stop your meds, wait until he asks you. I asked my dr to stop my meds, he accepted and I nearly died from suicide, intentional Tylenol overdose and intoxication. I vomited for 2 hours.

3 Likes

If your sz severity is mild you can maybe discuss it with your psychiatrist but you are responsible for the risks and know that any stress will make you psychotic, irritable, nervous and in my case aggressive.

1 Like

i have not visited my pdoc for almost a year …but it is my own decision.

Don’t stop your meds on your own.

1 Like

I can’t do more to help you. Myself I wasn’t listening to anyone when I stopped my meds. I guess you have to go through it to learn.

2 Likes

been stopping them for quite a long time (about 9 months) except maybe 2/3 days that i took them in early Feb and maybe a few days in Sep 2019

thanks mate ; )

1 Like

I got psychosis after stopping meds for a little more than a year.

1 Like

i would say i have been doing very badly and i knew i am doing badly abd quite severe maybe i would like to see how it goes or either pick up the meds . i still dun know .or resort to other methods first like accupunture , i really dun know .

Alternative medicine doesn’t treat sz and some supplements can dangerously interact with your body causing or worsening sz, they also interact badly with meds. L-dopa (Mucuna Pruriens) causes sz at high doses in healthy individuals. Ginseng in high doses also can do this. They also worsen sz if you had it before. Be careful or avoid it. I avoid it completely.

3 Likes

The most common thing seems to be that the person decides to travel to a foreign place they’ve never been to while under some strong delusion, then they end up homeless and/or lost for an extended period of time. I’ve heard countless stories of this happening.

2 Likes

It happened to me! I travelled to Germany for two months thinking I am the next Hitler! I bought knives there and was close stab myself.

1 Like

Wow I’m glad you got back safe.

I never had the urge to travel myself, when I was delusional I just went from hotel to hotel in my home town. I thought I was waiting for an old high school friend to pick me up but they never showed because it was a delusion.

2 Likes

If you stop treating your as you might experience more hallucination and delusions as the meds of the ad won’t be there to help you sleep. Even though the hallucinations and delusions might just really lessen because of the physical effect of the sleeping meds.

1 Like

Police in Germany spoke with me, I was talking to myself. I was scared that they lock me in a mental hospital forever there.

1 Like

I’ve tried acupuncture. It does not work for psychotic symptoms. It is decent for insomnia, but will not help with voices or delusions. When I asked about herbal treatment, my acupuncturist said there were no herbs that could treat schizophrenia. He said to stay on my medicine.

I have also tried stopping my meds twice. Once cold turkey on my own, and once as a slow taper over time under supervision. Going cold turkey put me right in the hospital against my will. I was in a very bad place. The slow taper was better, but I still decided to go back on my meds after a week when I called the crisis hotline 4 times a day.

3 Likes