What are the causes of psychosis/Scz?

Genetics, drugs, mental stress,…?
Is there anything else?
I wonder how powerful the genetic component is.
What have you been told about the causes?
I have heard in the biological sense that there is an abnormally high amount of dopamine… How confident are the researchers on that, is it well established, how do they know? Do they measure the dopamine in the brain?..

2 Likes

Everyone usually says genetics plus environment.

3 Likes

My psychosis was caused by stress.

1 Like

I am not sure. No one in my family has it

3 Likes

I believe it is all biological…

4 Likes

Mine is caused by insomnia…!!! F**k…!!!

2 Likes

The cause is unknown… Everything is a speculation so far

If the cause is known then the cure will also be discovered

2 Likes

If i knew it i would have been able to avoid it imo

2 Likes

I think my problems are caused because I have a mind of my own, I have had social anxiety since I was a child and didn’t talk until I was 8 so I never associated with my peers, I am not sure if I am schizophrenic or just a weirdo who never fit in.

My psychosis was caused by stress, no sleep, and too much Ritalin.

It seems like a perfect storm, but I don’t think it would have happened if it weren’t for a genetic predisposition. There are plenty of people who misuse Ritalin and don’t lose their minds. I think you really have to be susceptible to it.

2 Likes

My psychosis had the same ingredients except for the Ritalin. I didn’t even need that to completely lose it lol.

2 Likes

I abused Piracetam for a number of months and it unregulated my NMDA receptors greatly, giving me schizophrenic symptoms, like feeling as if people were watching me and causing me to lose my grip on reality. Eventually I got voices too.

What’s Piracetam?

Piracetam is a so-called nootropic, or “smart drug” that academics abuse.

1 Like

I think the dopamine effect is due to the transmitters that controls is missing from the part of the brain that matters in regard to psychosis due to some sort of brain damage or irregularity. Why it exists is something they are not really sure of. I think that damage may be related to the negative symptoms and cognitive damage which is probably why they can’t find a drug to handle it. The drug would literally have to rebuild or restructure that part of the brain and if it is currently being damaged by the cause of schizophrenia stop that too. Not an easy proposition indeed. I think another influence on the dopamine theory was the discovery that Parkinson’s patients given too much dopamine had hallucinations.

1 Like

I’m sorry that happened.

I have so much regret about the Ritalin.

I feel like if only I’d known what could happen.

I experienced the same, like people were watching me. Fortunately I never got voices.

1 Like

I know about the regret feeling… I wish I never drank alcohol or did drugs one time. How reckless was I. If only I knew wat that may have triggered. And then the sleeping pill overdose on a very empty stomach
Arghhhh

1 Like

Trying to get advantages by taking drugs is a sad, slippery slope. Caffeine is bad enough.

1 Like

I know for me a traumatic event in my childhood fueled the fire and eventually the added stressors of daily work and living further fed the fire. I’m still amazed that I had no idea what was going on when I was 23.

I have done some reading on the possible causes of schizophrenia.
It seems to be that the dopamine problem is a pretty popular theory…
Another lesser accepted theory is brain inflammation. One theory on the inflammation topic is I think overactivation or too many microglial(???) cells.
Another lesser accepted theory is that when people go through their teenage years their brains prune themselves. For people like us, the brain prunes itself too much.
For those who want to read more into stuff like that, go to sites like the NIH( national institute of health) or even NAMI, they both tend to post studies regarding this.

3 Likes