What are the best meds for schizoaffective?

currently im on Invega sustenna. have been for 3 almost 4 years now. but I need a cheaper med if im going back to work. which will mean i will lose my Medicaid and cost will be a factor.

what are the best meds for sza? and what do they cost you?

Would the Invega pill or Risperidone be cheaper?

2 Likes

The ap’s I take are Latuda and Prolixin. Latuda is very expensive without insurance. if you make less then 35000 a year you can get on sunovian support and Latuda is free. I take 120 mg of Latuda a day. Prolixin is about 100-120 a bottle here. its quite a bit cheaper.

1 Like

I take clozapine and zoloft and lamotrigine. Everyone is different as to what works

2 Likes

Music helps me a lot, calm soothing records work well. Different strokes for different folks, I’d put together my own combo of what works well, we’re all different

1 Like

I take abilify and latuda for APs. Then lithium

2 Likes

Any AP pill form will be cheaper than Injection format.

Abilify seems to be a good option for most people, unfortunately, it didn’t work for me (Was causing ED like most other APs, which is rarely seen in Abilify supposedly. It also caused my prolactin to stay elevated from the risperdal I was taking months earlier, an even rarer side effect, as Abilfy has been shown to lower prolactin levels)

I’m on Saphris now at the moment, have been on it for about a week now but I am experiencing nausea and even vomitted the other day because of it. Hoping it clears up. Still too early to tell if it is causing the ED i’m currently experiencing as my prolactin is still elevated from the risperdal I was taking months ago.

There’s also Seroquel if you can tolerate the sedation. I personally could not.

Rexulti and Vraylar are other options if you can get a hold of them in your area. Trying these two isn’t an option for me given my location, it isn’t available.

Also on Lithium, which has been great. Wonder drug really.

1 Like

Risperdal Consta injections, Geodon, and Seroquel.
Way too much.

1 Like

Risperdal

1 Like

All of your meds are relatively cheap, with the exception of the injection.

Why can’t you take the risperdal orally like the geodon or seroquel?

2 Likes

@anon99082702, Because the oral Risperdal makes me intractably constipated. And besides, the oral form doesn’t work near as well on my psychosis as the injection does.

2 Likes