What are non drug ways to treat delusions?

When I was first hospitalized the psychiatrist there told me that “every delusion starts with a grain of truth inside of them”. I guess maybe the human psyche has a hyped up over response to something for some reason or other. Any theories about why the delusion gets magnified? And non drug ways to treat delusions?

4 Likes

I used to have auditory hallucinations that would try to convince me that they were psychics trying to contact me and convince me of various things. I actually believed them at first.

Eventually, I realized that they can’t actually do anything to affect the real world. I started challenging them to do simple things like sending me a text message or email instead of contacting me psychically. At first, they were offended, but eventually they realized that they were just hallucinations. They were sad about it. They thought they were real.

That broke me out of the delusion of believing that I have psychic powers. So, for me it was about thinking my way out of the trap of believing the delusion.

I have a much better handle on things now.

4 Likes

Yes for me that’s true, I’ve talked myself into them, and if I have insight I can talk my way back out of them and them just keep on talking my way back out every time I start thinking that way again. It’s the only thing I know to do. If I have no insight then I guess I wouldn’t know to.

2 Likes

Challenging the delusions with rationalizations is pretty good. Anyone heard of Metacognitive therapy as well?

1 Like

The voices I hear are telling me to be degenerate and self disruptive against my family… I’m not gonna do that

1 Like

From CBT i know that delusions are the same as basic beliefs everybody has, except more life destroying. They breed from your normal beliefs such as if you have a core belief “ppl are against me” a delusional belief stemming that would be “ppl will kill me” which i had at one point. A method called “The arrow Down Technique” can be used to go through subconscious beliefs too.

3 Likes

Art treats mental illness in general so IDK if that would work for your aid.

1 Like

There are no effective non drug ways to treat delusions.
It’s going to be meds, and more meds.

1 Like

I feel like CBT, in addition to meds, was VERY helpful for me.

3 Likes

If that is true, what grain of truth lies in my belief that all neighbors are replaced by identical aliens?

2 Likes

Replace every with some, I guess.

2 Likes

Well, in my case maybe “every delusion has a kernel or bit of truth to it.” I had some mild to moderate paranoia that I was being poisoned in this life by light chemicals in my foods…turns out I was in a distant past life in a parallel universe but the memories were messed up and I wasn’t cognizant of it at the time the paranoia hit. I had no clue the memories and paranoia came from a past life! Now, I realize the paranoia came from a past incarnation of myself and I wasn’t being poisoned in this life at all!!! I realized I can shift between realities (yes, I can!) and that there are other parallel worlds out there with slightly different outcomes and actions like many worlds theory that Hugh Everett III talked about in his PhD thesis. I believe I was John Titor in a past life (possibly, every day it feels less and less real now) and he tried proving or convincing or showing people that other worlds exist. John Titor was a time traveler. Old news, in my opinion because I’ve lived millions or billions of lives since that life or whatever. And I didn’t post that stuff he posted in this life, unless I’m a clone or some ■■■■. I think it was the government that posted it for some odd reason or aliens…We live in a computer simulation so maybe it’s like the Mandela Effect or some ■■■■.

1 Like

Maybe your neighbors act like aliens compared to what you used to see in them. idk

I cant see how theres a grain of truth in my chosen one delusion

Either im the chosen one or im not. So how could it be KIND OF true??? Sometimes I think in some alternative reality it could be true but im lost in this one where its untrue or something.

3 Likes

I also have ideas of grandeur

2 Likes

No offense, but I sometimes think people act, feel, behave, and think like AI you know like machine learning. Some people have more access to these memories like myself while others don’t.

Some ufologists think humans are aliens, and the only way to rationalize his delusion is to assume parallel universes or some ■■■■.

I thought I was the chosen one too but it was really hell in my case…have you listened to Rosetta Stoned from Tool? That was about me in a past life/parallel universe.

What makes you think you’re the chosen one? And what does being a ‘chosen one’ mean? Because there is only 1 Jesus, but there are parallel copies of him doing the same thing and saying the same stuff.

1 Like

This islamic belife that drags me to be radical and grow a beard all over my chest and face. I thought im going to kill myself or burn myself can someone help. Wtf is it god or what I need to live my life snd play Ps4. Helll meds hello my last resort.

1 Like

I dont think im the chosen one. But a lot of people told me I was. Which was very unfortunate IMO. I had an IOP in 2012 I attended for 6-8 months and the whole time every person in the group fed into my delusions. And previously in college people would feed into my delusions. No one has fed into my delusions since. But when hundreds of people feed into your delusions. Its hard to get rid of. No matter how much evidence against it. ■■■■ tends to return. Come and go at least

2 Likes

People can be assholes.

2 Likes

I thought I was jesus because I had a miracle birth like jesus did. For one my mom was 43 coming off 4 straight miscarriages, then she had me. I had tons of birth complications like lack of oxygen from the umbilichal chord around my neck, pulled out by forceps, my mom had a blood clot during pregnancy, she had to get shots every single day for 6 months.

So there was that…my “miraculous birth” in common with jesus

also we are both at least part jewish.

and other ethnical coincidences I thought

and then theres delusions of reference which were the final icing on the cake.

And there was all the traumas in my life which forced me to lose my ego.

I think “loss of ego”=key to enlightenment. Actually that’s what I thought when I was 19. But I had already lost my ego. I had no ego because I was already schizophrenic from since 14 years old…maybe since 11. But then at 19 when I had a bad LSD trip I lost my ego again. Because my friend called me up on the phone and said “YOUR EGO” and I said “I KNOW”

So there was all this pushing forwardness and backwardness with the yin and yang simultaneously from different directions.

In the end it was just insanity, but then a ton of people fed into my delusions. I know that god is real. Oh boy do I Know. And I know that god has shown himself to me. And ive talked to god. And hes communicated with me. That said I dont think im the chosen one for at least 5 days now…and I haven’t thought I was “Jesus” in months. I dont even like jesus or believe in him or anything. I hate the idea of jesus. I get sick when I hear “JESUS JESUS JESUS” on the radio. Honest to god it makes me sick to my stomach.

But there is a lot more reason I believed I was jesus. But there is more coincidence than anyone could possibly talk me out of the delusion. Only myself can talk myself out of the delusion by saying “someones ■■■■■■■ with you, but you must ignore it”

If I look at evidence of things like things that have happened to me in the past, there is more evidence I AM the chosen one than not, to me.

So I must look at evidence from a logical standpoint of probability and other reasonings.

And with that, I can temporarily defeat and live with the delusions

Albeit never perfect

2 Likes

Sometimes, it’s good to talk about it and get things out.

3 Likes