What are group homes like?

My social worker suggested one to me (it’s for 17-22yos)
I wanna know what kind of rules they have etc

3 Likes

Didn’t you visit? Can’t you ask your social worker?

Yes I visited but they didn’t tell much

1 Like

Then you need to ask.

The rules won’t be the same in other countries.

1 Like

Idk how to ask them

1 Like

Do you meet up with them? Can you get their phone or email?

I will move there when I turn 18 bc they didn’t give Any other options

1 Like

Just ask ‘dear support staff, I was wondering what the rules are in the group home that I’m being send to?’

2 Likes

Ok i’ll do that

4 Likes

Again?

15 characters.

It’s gonna be more or less the exact same as your current place. Gaining autonomy at age 18 is not something you’re going to experience unless you stop threatening and hurting others.

1 Like

In the UK we have support living. It’s a shared house for anyone with mental health issues, drug or alcohol addiction etc.

There’s usually an office in the front of the house with staff in 5 days a week 9-5pm.

When I lived there I mostly kept to myself. It was the same as independent living really. I didn’t need support.

The only problem with living with others is that they may have hygiene issues, or not tidy up the kitchen/bathrooms.

But mostly it’s OK.

In the UK most shared houses have people that do drugs. At mine they smoked weed and some people did Cocaine. Glad I am no longer there. There is a zero tolerance drug policy though, so I could have reported people to get them kicked out. But I didn’t mind too much.

1 Like

I haven’t hurt or threatened anyonr in months

Group homes might be different in your country. I’ve been in 6 different ones here in California, in the states. Group homes aren’t too bad, I felt pretty safe in them. There was a little violence occasionally but not a lot.

If you’re lucky, you get your own room. I usually shared a room but I had some pretty cool roommates who I could talk to and joke around with. There’s usually limited space in your room; you might have a closet and a chest of drawers. I shared a bathroom in all of them; sometimes it was between as few as 6 people, sometimes as many as ten people. You usually keep your toiletries in your room and take them in the bathroom in the morning to take a shower.

Most houses I lived in were coed; I lived in an all-male house once though. Both situations were fine with me. The house provides the food, you may have to cook for you and other people though. And most houses have you do chores, nothing major, it can be vacuuming the living room or cleaning a bathroom or dusting etc.

There’s wasn’t a lot to do for entertainment in most group homes I was in. They might have a TV and a VCR or DVD player. If you’re lucky there’s a pool table or ping pong table. But there’s isn’t much else to do except sit around and talk or drink coffee or soda. You can take walks around the neighborhood or to the store if you want. All the homes I was in were in residential neighborhoods and there was usually some kind of grocery store nearby.

If you’re lucky, they will have a clothes washer and dryer on the premises. If not, you have to walk to a laundromat once a week to do your laundry. You have to pick up after yourself, you can’t leave your stuff laying around. Some houses I could go in the kitchen during the day and fix a sandwich or a snack. Other houses, the food was kept locked up and you could only eat at mealtimes. Most houses, we ate dinner together, sometimes lunch and breakfast too. Some houses were more informal about meals and you could fix your lunch or breakfast when you wanted.

Almost every house had a curfew, you usually had to be back on the premise by 10:00 pm or maybe 12:00 am on weekends and it was lights out at 10:15 pm. Group homes are good places to make friends, especially when there’s a lot of young people the around the same age there, you’re all in the same boat and people are friendly and you can talk to them and maybe go on walks with them. On weekends is where you can leave and visit your family and maybe stay overnight at your families home.

Yeah, now for the negative part. Drugs did seem to be common in a few of the houses I was in. It can be a problem especially since the other residents will often tempt you to drink or do drugs with them. IDK what to tell you about this problem. I don’t think you should be drinking and drugging at your age, with the problems you got. It’s up to you, the smart thing is not to do drugs when you have a mental illness. The group home you go into may really crack down and be strict about not doing drugs but even the nicest, most strict houses I was in, at least some of the people there were drinking or doing drugs. It can be a problem. I would hope you would do the right thing and stay clean and sober.

Day to day life can be boring there. You get up, take a shower, eat, then you need to find something to fill your time. At all the houses I was in there were some people who were working or going to school. At most homes you actually have a lot of free time. Some houses held groups or classes, those were good ways to kill time.

You might handle your own medication but maybe the house will dole it out to you a couple times a day. You have little responsibility except to clean up after yourself. But yeah, I was at certain group homes for more than a year and there was a lot of just sitting around and talking to the other residents.

1 Like

I visited the place I’m moving to once and every resident has their own room (though no shower or WC)

Also I’m not into drugs or drinking and you can’t drink or do drugs there or you’ll get kicked out.
They have some activities in a week such as sports or crafts from what I’ve heard
Also cooking together with the staff at least once a week
It has a place for 14 people and it has 3 small apartments outside for people to practice living alone with the staffs’ help.

4 Likes

Yeah, that all sounds about right; sounds like a typical group home.

1 Like

@Crystal-Cotton , you need to be reasonable. It takes longer than a few months to regain trust after you hurt or threaten people. You can earn that trust back, but it takes quite a while of good behavior first

1 Like

it has been since 6 months
also im not some evil person threatening people for no reason

1 Like

I don’t think you’re evil. But you are impulsive ad you have violent tendencies. As a result, it will still take more time to regain trust

1 Like

i agree but people could give me a chance

1 Like