What apple to choose?

There’s many apples to choose from in the grocery store. Sometimes the apples taste really good and sometimes they have a weird texture when you bite into them. How do you choose a good apple? I’ve heard about apples being in season but I’m pretty clueless when the seasons are.

2 Likes

McIntosh followed by Granny Smith

3 Likes

HONEYCRISP all day long

1 Like

They all have names. Some are eating apples, some are cooking apples. There are Red Delicious, Golden Delicious, Spies, Macintosh, Jonathan, to name a few. You could probably get all the information you need by Google-ing it.

2 Likes

Eating apples are Red delicious. They are hands down my favorite. They are crisp and sweet at the same time. Not mushy, too juicy, too tart or too hard.

1 Like

My favorite apple is the Fuji apple. It’s sweet and crunchy.

2 Likes

Gala is very crispy and sweet this season, good with peanut butter on top.
Fuji are crisp,
golden delicious have the least acid and are mild.
Red delicious are less crisp, are more what I think are a ‘real’ apple taste, but are best if come from the current season- older ones get mushy.
Granny apples are very tart, good for cobblers, pies and baking.

Newer flavers like pink lady and ambrosia to me are just plain strangly sweet.

Usually the newer season costs more than usual, and the store really market them hard, making them sound like they should be all the time, but it’s around April -June around my area.

2 Likes

I’m surprised no one has mentioned pink lady those are sweet and crispy

1 Like

Sorry I’m no help with this one I love crab apples especially crab apple pie :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve been eating the Fuiji and maybe the Gala. I tried to find the season for Fuji and was unable to. The Gala apples are out of season now I guess.

1 Like

Oh just realised that @Csummers did mention it

1 Like

3 Likes

In my grocery store the smaller apples have a stronger taste than the big ones. Not that I know much about apples…

1 Like

For whatever reason, new types of apples are at their best for a couple of years, then they lose their potency. Right now, I think Jazz apples are excellent - really rich, crisp, a little tangy, really flavorful.

1 Like

golden delicious :raised_hands:

2 Likes

I just got 15 jazz apples. Had a couple bites of one and it was perfect. Thanks @Rhubot

1 Like

I like the Fuiji apples! They’re called Busa in Korean and we have it all the time. It’s so sweet!!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.