Were you interested in psychiatry before sz?

I find it funny that I was interested about becoming a psychiatrist before my sz. I took 4 psychology elective classes and a neuroscience class in my physiotherapy program. I had very high grades, my psy teacher wrote A++, max grade is A+, on my midterm exam and asked me if I am interested into switching to psychology and doing a PhD.

I had the grades to transfer to medicine but sz hit hard my grades before I finish the required amount of courses to do the transfer. I told this to my psychiatrist and he was pretty sad, he said problems fall on our head from the sky unpredictably.

3 Likes

I was interested in psychology way back when I was teenager. I even had a subscription to Psychology Today. I remember reading a psychology book when I was 18 or 19 and reading symptoms and descriptions of various mental disorders and thinking I had most of them, lol. It’s actually quite common, many first year psychology students go through the same thing.

2 Likes

Its such a bad coincidence. Its like if a psychiatrist got schizophrenia himself. I guess everything is possible in life.

I was interested in psychology and psych meds after my diagnosis.

1 Like

I also became even more serious and more interested in psychiatry after my sz. Its the human instinct to self heal.

1 Like

I think it is more like irony.

1 Like

Several years before my first major breakdown, when in high school, and during my prodromal period, I took a high school level psychology class. I remember reading a bit about abnormal psychology in it. I don’t remember recognizing myself in any of it.

1 Like

I was interested in a particular disorder in psychiatry, but I can’t say I was interested in it as a whole. I was interested in OCD because I had it, but also because it runs through my family like wildfire; just in my family alone, three out of four kids have it, and pretty severe too.

Though, now thinking about it, I was a little bit interested in schizophrenia as a child due to the fact that a someone from my church had it. I just never expected that it would happen to me.

1 Like

I was interested in it because i became severely depressed as a teenager so i was drawn to it. Now im going back to school to become an art therapist

1 Like

I only had a common knowledge of Freud in high school. I think my friends and I used our psych knowledge more to tease each other than to have any serious interest. I was “accused” of having penis envy - lol.

not really. but my psychology class my freshmen year of college was my most interesting. actually the only one i went to all the time. the rest i just showed up on for tests and for midterms and finals.

2 Likes

Yea I was interested and still am in Carl Jung.
I also think it was depression that inspired me to look into it.

1 Like

No, I was not interested in psychiatry, but I got diagnosed when I was 12, soooo…never really understood what it was all about until I got older. The older I get, the more I realize I know hardly anything.

Were you hearing voices at 12 y.o.? If yes that’s pretty rare. I started hearing voices at around 18 y.o. but I was acting weird way before that.

I remember I had delusions before 10 y.o. but they only became dangerous when I tried suicide at 21 y.o.

Yep, began towards the beginning of 7th grade. I was full-on floridly psychotic by the time I was 14. Early intervention did little to help me. Not too terribly common, but I’ve seen various users on here report hearing voices at less than 10 years old.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.