Well, it's 2 AM and I'm still wide awake, again

I took Melatonin 6mg every night for years to help me sleep and it worked pretty darn well. Then I read a post on this forum that if you take it chronically, your body quits producing it naturally and you grow dependent upon the pills.

So, two nights ago, I stopped the Melatonin and took 1 mg of Klonipin instead, albeit at 6 am, and finally fell asleep and slept well waking at 2 pm.

Last night, I couldn’t sleep again, only this time I took 1 mg of Klonipin at 1030 pm and woke at 800 am getting good sleep.

Tonight, I tried sleeping without the Klonipin with no luck. I went to bed at 1030 pm and by 12 midnight still wide awake. At that point, I took 0.5 mg of Klonipin. It is now 250 am and I’m still awake despite lying quietly in bed for hours. I tried reading. No help. I don’t know what to do.

At this point, I could do 1 of 3 things:

1. Take another 0.5 mg of Klonipin and hope I don’t develop a dependency on that as well.

2. Wait another hour and take my morning meds and hope those knock me out all day. (They usually do).

3. Take my former pdocs advice and force myself to stay up all morning, afternoon and evening and go to bed around 8 or 9 pm to get back on schedule. He didn’t want me sleeping in the daytime at all.

1 Like

sorry honey…I just got up after fitful sleep…I think I slept too much night before last…

1 Like

It’s 430 am here and I’m drinking coffee. I’m trying to kick taking valium. Benzo’s are nasty drugs. At first they were my best friend now they’re my worst enemy.

1 Like

I vote for #3. I’m also doing this myself. Doing a 36 hour day that is. If you have nothing to do, you can just kill time watching tv or movies or whatever to pass the hours. Good luck!

1 Like

I think I’ll do that, thanks. He was always my best pdoc.

Thats the gold standard I think and I would like to be able to do it myself. If you can that would be great but I find, without things to do, I don’t do it. You could also look for “sleep hygiene” info online for when you do get to sleep.

1 Like

Where does it say that taking Melatonin causes dependence?

1 Like

I’m sorry you having trouble sleeping. Insomnia is awful

1 Like

I would do number 3.

But you know what’s best for you.

Hope you’re able to get some sleep soon. :sleeping:

1 Like

I’ll occasionally use tiny amounts of Klonopin but would never rely on them on a daily or nightly basis, especially for sleep.

1 Like

Somebody on this forum said it. You can’t get addicted to it. But you might get dependent on it?

2 Likes

I was dependent on Klonopin after a year of use. I was on 0.5mg/day. It took 4 months of a slow taper and then I had 3 weeks of withdrawals to get off it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.