Weight gain on aripiprazole

I’ve gained weight on it… especially in the tummy area. :unamused: I worked so hard to be slim, walked every day, but since I am on meds my belly looks like i am pregnant, bulging forward. Seems only my belly is affected. Anyone else experience this on aripiprazole?

1 Like

I have the same issue, except i’m on Ziprasidone and Clozapine. There is nothing more awkward than someone touching your tummy and ask if you’re pregnant. It’s like…no…i’m just fat.

1 Like

Yes I have the same so I had my doc lower the dose but made no difference. Though my energy levels have returned a bit. But also just started to take a b complex vitamin supplement. Also advised to take vit D3 supplement by my doc. So hoping this helps so I can get out more as im pretty homebound. Its strange as in the past when ive taken abilify oral i didnt gain weight. I was very slim. Just since they put me on maintena the injection form, ive put on alot of scale weight. But maybe since ive now switched to oral again. My weight may go down. Especially since id be more active im guessing… but a wish in the dark. Wishing you the best. I know its quite difficult at times dealing with body issues. I self harmed when i was first put on the injection. As the dose was too high and my weight shot up. Just felt very distressing for me. But yeah its hard sometimes.

2 Likes

Oh you see most antipsychotics makes you put on weight on the stomach region even the weight friendly antipsychotics. I likewise got this problem.

I think it also depends on your negative symptoms and physical activity level.

1 Like

On Abilify I was 200lb, now on 5mg risperidone I am 310lb. Before sz and meds I was 140lb.

1 Like

I’m sorry Alziz about your weight gain. I just want to say that I’ve gained 52 pounds since my youth 28 years ago. At that time my BMI was 20.0

2 Likes