Weight continues to be a problem

it’s a bit long but it helps

Focusing on calories is not the only requirement for weight loss. Foods have other characteristics that contribute to weight gain. Processed foods cause more weight gain than non-processed foods even when calories are equivalent because they are stored as glycogen which contains more water. This may explain the extra weight gain after a “rich” meal.

Calories burned don’t necessarily mean that fat is being burned. The calories burned could be coming from sugar, starch or protein. Weight loss can also occur from loss of muscle mass and not necessarily from fat loss. If the goal is weight loss by loss of fat, and retaining muscle, then the calories burned have to come mostly from fat.

I recommend this 24-minute video by Dr. Eric Berg entitled “How to Fix a Slow Metabolism.” He discusses how excess secretion of certain hormones may contribute to insulin resistance and to weight gain.

TLDW: Food quality is as important as quantity. Get rid of all forms of sugar and sweeteners and you will lose weight.

2 Likes

In my experience, to reduce weight gain from ap’s, exercise is the way to go.

Ideally the gym a few days a week, or instead walking rather than the car or bus.

I take metabolism boosters to try and keep the weight gain from happening. I believe it’s green tea extract. I also have an extremely active lifestyle which I hope will keep the weight gain at bay.

Track macros after a little while you can eyeball food.

Good to see you around and posting.

Hope you will feel good and get good with your weight and body.

@firemonkey a good book about diet/health/weight is ‘Eat to Live’ by Joel Fuhrman.

1 Like

Here’s what I’m focusing on right now @firemonkey: 10,000 steps or more per day and whenever I eat my plate has to be at least half greens. I’m also drinking a 16 oz glass of water right before each meal as it cuts my appetite for food.

Easier than counting calories.

2 Likes

I’m whipped:

The good news is that I’m getting my wind back. Two months ago I couldn’t breathe without an oxygen bottle. This is progress.

I think I am making progress again by trying to get more sleep and tracking it on my Fitbit Alta. On days I get 7 hours or more sleep I find my appetite is way more manageable and I get more pedometer steps and less anxiety.

Another good thing to look into is food allergies: I lost a couple pounds just by giving up drinking milk (even the lactose free stuff). A lot of body builders just eat meat and vegetables and that’s probably a good way to eliminate a lot of allergens too.

@shutterbug Thanks for trying to help. The 10k steps and plate of half greens is difficult. Managig the water would be much easier. How to achieve 10k steps a day when you don’t go out much and when you do the area you cover is very short ? Eating any vegetables let alone greens is a big problem. I find it hard to co-ordinate cooking pasta/rice, veg and meat. At present I tend to have things like breaded chicken and sausages with microwave rice or those pasta in sauces. I’ve yet to find a way of easily adding a portion of veg to that. ‘Meat’ in oven + microwave rice + veg cooking in saucepan or meat in oven + pasta in sauce saucepan 1+ veg saucepan 2 just feels like too much to cope with.

You have to exercise as much as you can and eat healthy food

I walked to and from work (about 7 blocks) which is 2400 steps. Got another 6500 over lunch. Got about 3500 after work walking after supper. The rest were during the day at work running between my office and the printers. My entire range was about 10 blocks.

I used to walk a lot farther when I lived in the country, I’ve found it challenging to get my steps in when I have no time and a limited area to walk in.

I reckon the walk I take is 0.4 to 0.5 kms going there and back. So a measly 500- 625 steps.

You have to start somewhere! Now just try to fit that walk in a few more times in your day. :slight_smile:

Also, this. Love to have you participate. (You were the inspiration.)

:heart:

1 Like

It’s a tall order. I’ve just worked out I’d have to do it 18-20 x a day to reach 10,000 steps! It’s enough of a struggle to get myself to go out a couple of times a week,let alone 18-20 x a day. I guess walking indoors wouldn’t count?

Angela Rippon did a tv series about ageing recently. Dancing appears to be the most effective form of exercise according to her research. It can be done alone and indoors, all that’s needed is a catchy tune.

6 minute clip…

I do a lot of my walking indoors.
This does count!
The whole idea is to keep moving.

Are there any reasons you can’t change meds?

If your meds make you gain weight to such an extent that it becomes a problem, they simply don’t suit you. Every AP has similar effects but different degree of side effects so you can find a med that has almost the same effects of your current meds with much fewer side effects.

Changing meds is daunting but if weight has been a problem for a long time, it’s worth a try.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.