We may have to put my dog to sleep

:frowning:

He’s not doing so good. He is an old man, and he can’t even get up to walk anymore without help. Poor fella, he’s been a great dog. Stubborn as hell, but also loving and fun. He’s 12 or 13, which for a husky is pretty old. He’s not just a husky, but he’s a big husky. He’s missing one back leg since he was two, we got him from a rescue, and his remaining back leg has a torn acl. He managed for a while, but he’s just getting tired. He’s losing mass, strength, and his appetite and his quality of life is just terrible. He was a super food motivated dog, and he wont even eat his favorite snack anymore. He loved his cheese.

I’m heartbroken, but he’s lived a good life. He had a rough start with having to have his leg amputated and having a couple different homes since we got him, but we spoiled him and loved him. I’m going to miss him. I’m worried about our other dog. He’s never been the only dog in the house, well maybe for like two months. I think we will end up with another dog for his sake more than ours.

I’ll post a picture of him tomorrow, I gotta get some sleep. We have an appointment for him at the vet where we are going to get an informed opinion on what our best move is for him. I would like to be able to make him comfortable until he passes on naturally, but if his suffering is too great and he cannot be made comfortable then we will do what we have to do.

This is one of the reasons I got a tortoise, if all goes well she will be around after I’m gone. With that being said, I think dogs and cats having a shorter lifespan is a reason we cherish them so much. We know that they aren’t going to be around too long so we give them the best life we can and love them and are heartbroken when they are gone, but we get another animal to give our love too, not to replace the ones we lost, but because we have that love to give and nothing to give it too. I shouldn’t speak for anyone else, that’s just how it is for me.

3 Likes

I have a cat named Hagi, luckily he is about a years old. Even now I cannot imagine him being away. You may get a new dog, maybe.

1 Like

Realise its a really hard decision to make but I think its a kind thing to do. Wish the best for your doggo

1 Like

Sending love your way. Sorry you and your family are having to make this decision.

1 Like

That’s tough @Squanchy-- wishing you and your pupper the best :sunflower:

1 Like

I’m sorry…15

1 Like

I’m sorry about your dog @Squanchy. Our pets are such important members of the family.

1 Like

I’m sorry that your husky is succumbing to old age, it is something that will affect us all but its just a shame that dogs and cats and small animals have such little time here,
i think you are being very sensible about it from what you are saying and yes if he is suffering too much then it is the best thing for him bc we dont want our pets to suffer.

I just got a little dog called Snoopy recently but i got to take hime to the vet tomorrow bc i am worried about him, his skin is very pink and he may have an infected ear so i need him to be checked, i just hope its nothing serious, idk much about animals and infections but the vet was ok about it.

Animals can be a hand ful but they are worth it, I’ll pray for you all and your Dog,

have a nice day

1 Like

Thanks everyone. We did put him to sleep, but it was a pretty easy decision. He had a lot of fluid in his abdomen which pushed his organs into his lungs making it hard to breathe. He also had a pretty big tumor where his leg was amputated, which the reason he had it amputated was because of tumors.

He’s at peace now.

9 Likes

I’m so sorry. I can’t imagine the pain you’re in. I’ll never be ready for my dog to go. He’s so special to me and I’m sure your husky is to you too. I hope you find some comfort in all this

I’m so sorry @Squanchy. Thank you for sharing that beautiful photo of your dog. Take care.

I’m so sorry @Squanchy.
May he Rest In Peace

I’m so sorry.

Blessings to your beautiful fur baby and your family. :pray:

I send you a big squeezy hug, if you feel like having one that is.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.