We compared ziprasidone and risperidone in patients with acute exacerbation of schizophrenia or schizoaffective disorder

CONCLUSION: Both agents equally improved psychotic symptoms, and both were generally well tolerated, with ziprasidone demonstrating a lower MDB(movement disorder burden) score and less effect on prolactin and weight than risperidone.

Hey @TheBest, I’m curious to what acute exacerbation means. One time I made an online account and my diagnosis was on there, this diagnosis was something like “chronic paranoid acute exacerbation schizophrenia” I googled it but I couldn’t find a answer. The diagnosis had a date on it, it was summer 2016.

1 Like

I think acute means severe.

Oh thanks and chronic means lifelong?

1 Like

Persisting for a long time or constantly recurring

Oh I see, never knew that. Thanks!

1 Like

It really does seem to vary widely from person to person, but for me Geodon (ziprasidone) caused a lot of movement problems. I will say that it was fairly effective at quieting the voices and reducing paranoia.

1 Like

Acute exacerbation means: “sudden worsening” of symptoms, @Winterblues.

1 Like

Oh thank you for the info

1 Like

That’s B’s everyone I’ve known says resperidone doesn’t hardly do anything for symptoms and I know it didn’t for me…

1 Like

Ziprasidone made me MORE psychotic. Well actually it took away my voices but everything else was just worse and it made me manic which I have like never experienced before and have not experienced after quitting. I was so crazy on that med and just had a terrible experience with it aside from the weight loss which was nice. It also made me insanely sleepy to where I was falling asleep at the wheel and afraid to leave my house, gave me super low blood pressure so I always had to move super slow or else risk fainting, etc. And don’t even get me started on the withdrawal, it was like coming off a hard drug. Horrific anxiety and gagging and running to the bathroom at even the smell of food.

Risperidone was the most effective antipsychotic I was ever on but it made me gain a bunch of weight that I have never successfully lost and kept off and gave me hyperprolactenemia and sexual dysfunction.

1 Like