Was i right not to give my drug addict friend money as he's trying to get high and make it to rehab tomorrow?

he’s a crack addict. he was in rehab and having seizures there, which they treated. he got out to pay the dope man what was owed, and to get high again. now he’s got an appointment tomorrow to go back at 8PM so he’s gotta make it over 24 hours. he’s going through withdrawal, and he’s afraid of having more seizures. i tend to trust he’s being honest, but ya never really know. maybe i should have just let him get high on and off till he gets there tomorrow night?

i’ve already gave him a thousand bucks. i have investments, but those are for retirement and i dont want to tap that. nor do i think it’s right that id be expected to. plus just giving a drug addict drug money sounds counter productive. i feel bad that i’ve enabled him before. everyone who knows the situation says just stop giving him money. even his family and mom won’t help him. i’m one of his best friends, but i dont think it’s right that i am being put through this. i will be there for him, but right now i think that’s all i can do.

he’s afraid a hospital would tie him up where he can’t get to rehab as soon as possible. maybe this is a bad excuse?

what do ya’ll think?

1 Like

Don’t give him any money.

3 Likes

Oh, I wouldn’t give him any more money. If he needs some food or something like that, maybe buy him some food.

1 Like

Unfortunately people with drug problems can be money pits. I tried being friends with one, and I ended up spending a lot of money too.

2 Likes

He’s safer withdrawing in a hospital. Don’t give him any more money as you’re doing more harm than good.

1 Like

Honestly sounds like he isn’t planning on going to rehab. If he’s going through withdrawals he needs to go to the hospital. Do not give him money. Give him a ride to the hospital, call an Uber for him, or a freaking ambulance, but giving him money to use because he’s going through withdrawal is addict logic.

2 Likes

You wouldn’t give a crack addict crack would you? Well, if you give him money you know exactly where it’s going. You would just be supplying him with crack. He will take your money and smoke it up in a day or two. Then he will want/need more.
As a recovering crack addict, I learned that CA and NA are right about addicts and their dope: “One is too many, and a thousand is never enough.”
If you give him money he will just want more. He will take whatever you give him and want more.

When I was in my active addiction and I wanted money for crack, honesty was pretty much out the window. When I wanted crack, honesty was not my priority, my priority was saying and doing anything to get money and if I had to lie, I had no qualms about it. And most addicts around me were the same way.
If he’s really an addict, then his life revolves around getting and smoking crack, it’s what he’s thinking about most of the time. And if you give him anymore money, you are just feeding his addiction.

When I was in my active addiction, people had very good reasons not to trust me with their money or their cars.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.