Wanna become a career working with animals

Any suggestions??? Maybe a vet technician. Now I’m healthy I can do a lot more. I am high functioning when I’m sober. Maybe I’ll go to trade school.

8 Likes

The sky is the limit! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@cbbrown wassssup???

1 Like

Maybe you could volunteer at a shelter and see if that kind of work is for you.

3 Likes

I have two years experience working with animals. (As a volunteer). And that was when I was messed up and I loved it.

Here in California we have wildlife rescue centers. They take care of injured animals that people find in parks in the wild or their neighborhoods and help the animals until they are fit enough to to return to the wild. They take in baby animals who were abandoned by their mothers. I volunteered at one but I think there might be paid employees. Now the bad news, I worked there for about two months and hated it. If you’ve ever tried to hand
feed a 12" X 12" cage full of wild birds you will know why I hated it. The damn birds never stopped moving and they would either not let you feed them or they would steal food from each other. And that was my main job there.

Even harder is feeding tiny baby birds. For one thing, they are so delicate and fragile that they would get easily injured but I never injured one. But the babies were so young their eyes were barely open. But I learned a new word there: “crop”. The crop is in a baby birds necks, it’s a tiny hollow space down their throat, where we put food in their mouth with an eyedropper and the food goes in the crop and the birds swallow it. Theoretically it sounds easy or even fun but in practice it is neither of those. The tiny babies never stopped moving and did not want the eye dropper in their mouths, so we basically had to gently force feed them.

It drove me crazy. Have I wrecked your dreams yet, @Jonnybegood, lol? I didn’t mean to. I think my co-workers didn’t have as much trouble as I did and they seemed happy enough. I guess my biggest problem there was I had no patience. The birds never co-operated and I didn’t find that rewarding. And I was driving myself crazy working there for free.

2 Likes

Omg @77nick77 I love birds so much. I worked at a nature center for a while and the birds were my very favorite animals. To eaches own I guess!!!

2 Likes

For some reason I misread this as “working with criminals” and I was like lol wut?? :rofl:

2 Likes

Hey, that vet tech is a good idea. I want to do something like that but the one person who thinks I can do it also has doubts. I think she’s remembering how bad I was and she’s afraid I’ll take it hard if I fail again.

I hope you can do something with animals. I thought about volunteering at a cat shelter here in town instead of the humane society 35 minutes away.

1 Like

Yes vet tech sounds cool! It requires some schooling I think but not a bachelor’s degree or anything. My friend wants to do that.

You could also be a dog trainer if you like dogs. That requires a bit of schooling too but again not a bachelor’s.

There’s also pet hotels, you could be an animal groomer, etc.

I’m going to start volunteering at my local nature center soon taking care of the animals but of course that won’t pay lol.

2 Likes

I think I made up my mind I want to be just a veterinarian assistant or something of the like but I want to do it long term. Well take it one day at a time but this is what I wanna do. There’s a certification course at a local community college online for cheap that Takes Place July 18th. All you really need is a high school diploma or equivalent but the certification course helps. Thanks :pray: @anna and @cbbrown because between disability and a part time job as vet assistant it’ll be enough.

3 Likes

I work full time on a horse farm and by far it’s been the most rewarding and grounding job I’ve ever had, I attribute my job to the reason I’m still alive right now. Kudos to you for chasing after your dream. Vet technicians work very hard but it’s such rewarding work.

1 Like

I get some money for caring for my in-laws animals but I wish to do it as an actual job someday

1 Like

Well, I’d rather work with criminals any day then work with birds at a shelter again. The only bird I want near me is a bucket of chicken from KFC.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.