Schizophrenia.com

Voter Registration spooked me this morning

I called this morning to see if I was going to get an absentee ballot for a city election in July, and the guy said if I was qualified to vote I would receive a ballot. Why would I not be qualified to vote? I haven’t been judged mentally incompetent by a court or convicted of a felony. I’m 62 years old with arthritis making if difficult going to the polling place.

It is probably a routine thing they say to everyone.

2 Likes

I hope so. 1515

The guy doesn’t know you personally. To him you are a member of the public calling for information. Like @ninjastar said, that’s probably his standard answer to that question.

2 Likes

Thanks Gamera. 1515

1 Like
1 Like

Well, that link said People with psychiatric disabilities are often denied the opportunity to vote on the grounds that they are not “competent” to cast a ballot.
But if they can fill out a ballot Federal law requires they be allowed to vote.

1 Like

I’m not sure in which situations that would apply, but it also links to a page that says this:

“Under federal law, a person cannot be barred from voting because of “incompetence” except in very limited circumstances. As a rule, if a person is competent enough to go to the polls and vote, or to complete an absentee ballot, federal law requires that the person be allowed to vote.”

1 Like

In Arkansas the law says you can’t vote if you have been declared mentally incompetent by a court. I just hope someone isn’t trying to take legal action against me.

My psychiatric care provider was my Rep Payee on my Social Security check for a while, but back in 2014 they made me my own payee.

I don’t have any family except for my sister who lives in Maryland.

I’m probably just being silly this morning. It’s just my mom took legal action to have me involuntarily committed to the State Hospital back in 2008. I wasn’t taking my meds back then, but I do now.

The judge ordered me into the hospital for a psychiatric evaluation and they said I have Sz. I was originally diagnosed SzA though when I voluntarily went in to a psychiatrist.

I was in the hospital for a month.

To qualify to vote you must be registered. That’s what I think this person meant

1 Like

I registered to vote. Maybe that’s it. I have a birth certificate showing I was born in Arkansas, but I’m hesitant to show it. It says my mom’s place of residence was the State Hospital. This was back in 1959.

You don’t have to show your birth certificate. Either use a driver’s license or state ID. Do you have either?

1 Like

I have an Arkansas ID card and US Passport.

Then that’s good enough. You can vote in Arkansas. You don’t need your passport.

1 Like

Thanks Pianogal. I used my Passport to get the Real ID card instead of showing my birth certificate. I had to show my birth certificate to get the Passport though. I have a Arkansas Medicaid photo ID that was issued back in 2008 that’s still valid. When I came back to Arkansas in 1994, I had a Louisiana DL that I traded for an Arkansas DL. I gave up my DL last October for the Real ID card. I don’t drive anymore because I can’t afford the insurance.

You don’t have to be physically/mentally fit to get the ID card.

1 Like

I’m toying with the idea Voter Registration found out how I voted in the last election, and they don’t like it. This is silly though. My absentee ballot was sealed in a privacy envelope that you mail back with a form and a copy of your ID. They couldn’t tell how I voted.

I’m just going to have to settle down and stop thinking about it.

1 Like