Vipassana meditation

There are three steps to the training given in a meditation course. First, one must abstain from any action, physical or vocal, which disturbs the peace and harmony of others. One cannot work to liberate oneself from impurities of the mind while at the same time continuing to perform deeds of body and speech which only multiply them. Therefore, a code of morality is the essential first step of the practice. One undertakes not to kill, not to steal, not to commit sexual misconduct, not to tell lies, and not to use intoxicants. By abstaining from such actions, one allows the mind to quiet down sufficiently in order to proceed further.

The next step is to develop some mastery over this wild mind by training it to remain fixed on a single object, the breath. One tries to keep one’s attention on the respiration for as long as possible. This is not a breathing exercise; one does not regulate the breath. Instead, one observes natural respiration as it is, as it comes in, as it goes out. In this way one further calms the mind so that it is no longer overpowered by intense negativities. At the same time, one is concentrating the mind, making it sharp and penetrating, capable of the work of insight.

These first two steps, living a moral life, and controlling the mind, are very necessary and beneficial in themselves, but they will lead to suppression of negativities unless one takes the third step: purifying the mind of defilements by developing insight into one’s own nature. This is Vipassana: experiencing one’s own reality by the systematic and dispassionate observation within oneself of the ever-changing mind-matter phenomenon manifesting itself as sensations. This is the culmination of the teaching of the Buddha: self-purification by self-observation.

It can be practiced by one and all. Everyone faces the problem of suffering. It is a universal malady which requires a universal remedy, not a sectarian one. When one suffers from anger, it’s not Buddhist anger, Hindu anger, or Christian anger. Anger is anger. When one becomes agitated as a result of this anger, this agitation is not Christian, or Jewish, or Muslim. The malady is universal. The remedy must also be universal.

Vipassana is such a remedy. No one will object to a code of living which respects the peace and harmony of others. No one will object to developing control over the mind. No one will object to developing insight into one’s own nature, by which it is possible to free the mind of negativities. Vipassana is a universal path.

Observing reality as it is by observing the truth inside—this is knowing oneself directly and experientially. As one practices, one keeps freeing oneself from the misery of mental impurities. From the gross, external, apparent truth, one penetrates to the ultimate truth of mind and matter. Then one transcends that, and experiences a truth which is beyond mind and matter, beyond time and space, beyond the conditioned field of relativity: the truth of total liberation from all defilements, all impurities, all suffering. Whatever name one gives this ultimate truth is irrelevant; it is the final goal of everyone.

May you all experience this ultimate truth. May all people be free from misery. May they enjoy real peace, real harmony, real happiness.

For a more in depth description visit the Dhamma organization website.

2 Likes

Kool Word Yo … ,

Go 2 Mai Twitter Account , OPTISLEEP1 … ,

There u Will Fynde a Great Way 2 Learn How 2 Meditate Towards a Goal of a Reborn Sense ov Clarity as u Blink tha Layers ov Fear Away … ,

Wit Ur Palms on ur Knees … ,

As u Count 1 2 3 inn throo ur Nose … ,

1 2 3 Out throo ur Mouth … ,

Clarity will Arise as u Notice ur Fingers Lil Movements , it May Show u A Reborn Sense of Awareness About tha Thread Between u n ur Bodie … ,

A Connection as u r Sitting as Buddha Does … ,

Blinking tha Layers ov Fear Away … ,

Keeps it Cools … … …

2 Likes

@Om_Sadasiva

2 Likes

I think meditation is not very good for Sz…!!

1 Like

I agree. One must understand that mind doesn’t exist. It’s like a dream, like a shadow, like the son of a barren woman, like the horns of the hare.

1 Like

It makes me laugh that Buddhists take a vow of no intoxicants when they pretty much all continue to drink tea. Tea, I have found out recently really can intoxicate you; so much so that I have cut down my alcohol intake from 30 units to 10 units a week due to getting a buzz from certain types of oolong tea instead. It is a healthier choice and not as intoxicating as alcohol in that it doesn’t impair my coordination, but it does affect me nether the less.

I love my meditation and do over an hour every single day. Some people can’t meditate though as it makes sz worse for them. Luckily, it helps me.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.