Schizophrenia.com

Video Games and our Brain

I agree with Cloudy, games are fun in moderation.
But I think gaming can be addictive and then it’s time for a break.

1 Like

I’d tend to agree with @velociraptor Achievement boosts self esteem more than things, for me anyways. Achievements make me proud of myself, things come and go, but once you have achieved something it’s with you forever. Stuff can make me happy but it doesn’t really boost my self esteem.

When I look back on my life graduating high school as an Ontario Scholar with an A average and being accepted into one of the best Universities in the Country because of it boosted my self esteem far more than anything I owned. I had a car (nothing special) in high school and university and it gave me freedom which made me happy, but it didn’t really boost my self esteem. The car is long gone but my achievement is still with me.

I had to drop out of University because I developed schizophrenia and not achieving my degree has always bothered me, but I can’t afford it now, I don’t want to go in debt for it, and up until recently my old meds knocked me on my ass so I don’t think I could’ve done it.

had an Amstrad Pc 086.
Lots of hours of fun !
I’m born in 1979.
(off topic, sorry.)

1 Like

I love video games! I used to play them all the time, up until a couple of years ago. My negative symptoms make it so I can’t enjoy video games, by myself, anymore. But I still am able to have fun and bond with my husband when we play games, together. :grinning: I can’t play for long periods, though, like I used to, because I just can’t stay focused for very long.

Maybe, someday, I’ll kick these negative symptoms. And then I can enjoy hobbies again, when alone. :relaxed:

4 Likes

Can I point out that it doesn’t have to be professional or financial achievement? If you go from not being able to walk a block without huffing to walking 5 km and feeling great, that’s an achievement. If you overcome your fear of people and go out and enjoy it, that’s an achievement. Important to strive for different successes and celebrate them.

3 Likes

You’re not good at sarcasm are you?

1 Like

In my opinion, Final Fantasy 6 was just a really long book that tricked kids like me into playing it with the pretty colors.

When you filter it down though, most RPGs are just lots, and lots, and lots of reading.

1 Like

Impressive. Great job!

1 Like

There was a study in 2016 that said playing racing games improved real world ability to drive.

And there are a ton of studies that suggest gaming is good for your brain, especially as you age.

I think the tricky part comes in when you add in the often times toxic chat that so many games have anymore.

But, in general, I think video games are good for us.

1 Like

It’s not always easy to tell sarcasm on the Internet when you can’t hear the persons voice, see their facial expression or read their body language.

But if it was sarcasm fair enough.

1 Like

Only game I played regularly was Football manager. I wasn’t that good at it,but I enjoyed it. Then about a decade ago there was a major revamp, which completely threw me. I haven’t played since then.

No major achievements.

2 Likes

I made it pretty obvious.

1 Like

Just because it’s obvious to you doesn’t mean it’s obvious to everyone.

1 Like

My arms are sooooo thrashed this morning.

2 Likes

I read somewhere that video games can curb some of the approval seeking behaviour that some people struggle with. In real life, a person may try their hardest and not get anywhere in their job. In video games, there are rewards for reaching a new level. There’s progress from lower levels to higher levels.

1 Like

Yep, that’s what I’m saying.

1 Like

I like video games I think they not help and not damage our brain. It can make your brain wired better if you play seriously studying video games moves strategies ect…but it requires hard work not many people can do this . Sitting and mindlessly clicking buttons for no reason leads to problems

1 Like

At one hospital I’ve been to they would pull out a Nintendo Wii for Wii bowling as a recreational group. Video games can’t be that bad if hospitals sometimes use them.

1 Like