Schizophrenia.com

Very suspicious

I am very worried that this guy is going to steal the credit for a short story I wrote. I am proud of the story, and I think it is publishable. But I asked this guy to run a copy off from a flash drive onto paper, and I’m worried that he is going to send the story to a magazine so he can get credit for it.

Why would he do that? Just because he printed it for you? He’d have to have saved a copy and then spend time trying to find a place to get published. It isn’t one, two, three published.

2 Likes

Put the short story in the public domain under your name before he can publish it although he probably wont.

Public domain means publishing it online even on this site

1 Like

I don’t think they’d let me publish a 6,000 word story on this site. It would crowd out a lot of shorter posts. But I might try to find some other site that could publish it on. Would I be able to transfer it off the flash drive, or would I have to type it by hand onto the site? Wait! I just thought of a site I can publish it on and get credit for the story.

Print it, put it in an envelope, and mail it to yourself via registered letter. Keep it unopened. You now have dated proof of when it was in your possession.

10 posts were split to a new topic: Site Policy on Intellectual property!

Remember folks this is a publicly searched forum. We encourage anonymity here to protect members so they can receive support. If you are worried about sharing works then it’s wise not to publish them here. We have a very creative membership and it’s good to see others works but if your worried there are methods to maintain your intellectual property.

Okay I get that but once published on a blog or other medium, format, or style is something done for the artist.

@Daze I moved these posts to a new thread to allow the op to get replies. Please respond there.

I published the story on a writer’s web site last night. That should secure my credit for writing the story. Thanks for the advice.

2 Likes

I hope you didn’t make it public domain?

Well, doing that makes it harder to actually get published in a magazine. They usually want never before published material and now you’ve self published.

1 Like

The flash drive is all you need to prove authorship and date. To be honest I wouldn’t worry about it, and there is hardly any money in short stories, poetry or stage plays. . Novels and scripts, however, are a different matter.

1 Like

I always figured rich people get richer by stealing poor people’s ideas. Like companies buying out competitors or start ups and then closeting them or shutting them down and taking the work. I mean I don’t feel safe or secure on windows or anything and on wifi. I started using a vpn and am thinking of switching over to mac or linux. The news makes me paranoid about hackers and other countries stealing things. I heard it’s harder to steal software than hardware. The whole world is a mess and ■■■■■■ up. People suck.

1 Like

No. Every story published on that site is copyrighted - all rights reserved.

1 Like

Amen. You’re right about that.

1 Like

It isn’t the money. I just want to get credit for it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.