Schizophrenia.com

Vancouver Eastside (Canada) residents dying at more than eight times the national average

Marginalized residents of Vancouver’s Downtown Eastside are dying at more than eight times the national average, and treatable conditions are the greatest risk factors for mortality, researchers at the University of British Columbia have found.

In research outlined in the British Medical Journal Open, investigators recruited 371 study participants aged 23 to 72 from single room occupancy hotels and the Downtown Community Court. Over the course of nearly four years, 31 participants died—a mortality rate 8.29 times the average for Canadians of the same age and sex. For participants between the ages of 20 to 59, the mortality rates were even more astounding: more than 10 times the national rate.

When the researchers looked into the associated risk factors for mortality, they did not find any link with HIV or substance addiction. Instead, they found psychosis and hepatitis C-related liver dysfunction to be significantly associated with increased mortality, particularly among participants under the age of 55.

“We were somewhat surprised because most people thinking about the Downtown Eastside think about HIV/AIDS or the possibility of overdosing on opioids like heroin,” said Dr. William Honer, professor and head of UBC’s Department of Psychiatry and co-author of the study. “Our system is not doing as well in getting treatments out there for psychosis and hepatitis C in this group, and it’s interesting that those two illnesses are causing risk for early mortality.”

On the basis of lengthy observation of alcohol- and drug-abuse, homeless, welfare class, psychotic and PTSD-suffering war veteran populations (for 28 years now), as well as epidemiological articles in professional journals, the #s in east Vancouver are representative of those populations pretty much anywhere.

Oh, so the safe injection sites we paid all that money for AREN’T helping addicts?

SHOCKAH!!!

:unamused:

Pixel.

Just to be clear homeless populations in my state don’t have money for drugs and alcohol that’s a preconceived myth.

No, dear; what you are asserting is the preconceived myth.

Have you worked with hundreds of homeless people for 28 years? I – in fact – have. Those people have a sometimes astonishing ability to get the money they need for what they believe is all they need.

Please. When you don’t know what you’re talking about, keep to yourself. (And toss that fucking bottle you’ve got open, would you?)

I’ve worked with them too and I know they are destitute or wouldn’t get a room in shelter. Perhaps you are referring to nearly homeless or disabled homeless. It’s a different category.

How? And at what level of certification?

To the OP isn’t Canada a very peaceful nation?

Compared to …I don’t know. …the US?

That’s why I said my area.

It’s peaceful if you stay in the peaceful areas.
Every city has its share of crime going unnoticed.

Have another drink, Daze.

No st man ,if you aint down then you dead,where im from(anchorage) its the same bullst.

I freaking HATE that gangster s**t.

Yup I agree with you on that.

on the Westcoast of Canada there is some heavy gang problems in various areas

Where do you think the raw opium and processed heroin from Afghanistan and Thailand comes into North America? (Hint: Do you think the Canadian Coast Guard can patrol the shores of all those islands up there?)

Trust me I know more than enough.

I need to move to your state. The people in my province break into my vehicles and steal crap they can sell for drugs and booze. They also receive assistance they use for booze because the food bank gives them groceries.

Pixel.

1 Like

The new thing here in Cali is using food stamps to buy tradable items one has no intention whatsoever of consuming, but knows that someone else will trade some of their booze for or buy outright for dimes on the dollar value of its actual worth. The “deals” are often made right outside the entrance to the store.

(Ever stand back of a homeless food stamper in a supermarket line?)

I’m in the same state as @Daze and @Sarad has just informed me that our bridges and vehicles are below standards for Eastern Europe. So make your choices wisely, lol.

Sorry about the car breakins, though. We’ve had a recent rash of them in my neighborhood, though the police think it’s just bored high schoolers.

1 Like

Look anything like this?

Pixel.

It’s obviously a serious issue and I’m guessing, from what’s been said, it’s not confined to Vancouver Eastside.
Preventative methods seem to be failing but what realistically could be done to improve the situation?
It was interesting that assistance is used for booze due to the food bank giving groceries. I posted a thread on whether giving money to homeless individuals was an ok thing on another forum(and on here ,I think) . 2 things were repeated quite often on the other forum (1) It’ 's a ■■■■ life being homeless and if they spend the money given on booze and drugs to self medicate then that’s their choice/right and good luck to them (2) Some said they bought them food instead of giving money.
A point I made was that giving food meant that for those who were substance abusers less money needed for food meant that more money could be spent on booze and drugs.
I think maybe there is such a thing as being “Kind to be cruel” and whether as individuals we let an immediate emotional reaction to a homeless person(or in some cases someone pretending to be homeless) outdo our better judgement.
Of course if you say that you don’t believe in giving directly to the homeless person the accusations of being heartless can fly thick and fast, along with accusations of how right wing you must be.