Using one little tip to save money

I think I might even have read it in someones thread: having breakfast for dinner once or twice a week. Like tonight I had a bowl of rice crispies and toast for dinner. It probably cost a dollar instead of $5 or $6 if I had pork chops, a salad, a potato and some side. So if I do it twice a week that’s saving $8 or $9 a week; that’s about $33 a month or $340 a year! I’ve started shaving 5 minutes off my shower time; that saves about $130 a year. What little things do you do that saves money and how much?

7 Likes

Ive been checking goodwill first more often when i wanna get something. I got a nice flannel over shirt for $5.99

3 Likes

We also installed a low flow shower head. I was against it at first because I thought it would lower the pressure of the water coming out but it’s actually a stronger flow than the regular one we had on.

2 Likes

I shop at thrift store
I make like $250 monthly in food stamps
My pay checks from work are cashed and placed in a heavy duty locking safe, I take out small amounts at a time like $20
I use that as carrying cash :slightly_smiling_face:
Easy

3 Likes

I usually buy frozen veggies if I buy vegetables because it’s cheaper anc I also shop at pantry charity for $10 sometimes.

I try to avoid putting the air conditioning on because it’s expensive.

I buy a cheaper soft drink that isn’t a “fancy” brand.

I don’t go out often and don’t eat out often.

3 Likes

I have the cheapest internet. I also eat cereal and milk for dinner most of the time.

2 Likes

I go to the dollar tree once a week and spend roughly 20$ on crackers soup noodles alphabettes rice and im good for like 3 days.so like a little over 6 dollars a day.

2 Likes

I bathe or shower only twice a week instead of every day like most people. I’m sure that saves tons of money.

Another thing is I don’t drive nor own a vehicle. Right off the bat that saves me $300 to $500 in car payments every month. That also saves me many hundreds to thousands of dollars every year in liability and collision insurance, car maintenance, service warranties, car repairs, gasoline, taxes and registration, licensure, etc…

I never use that user nonfriendly Uber, and my taxi fees don’t come close to my former car related expenses.

Granted, I’m retired and don’t have to get to a job everyday either.

@77nick77 @JaBrown @mangojuice @Cloudd3ad
@irrelevant @SacredNeigh7

1 Like

I do a lot like u do. I only shower like once a week. I wash my hair under the faucet every couple days since its short it gets messy after i sleep on it. I drive a 1994 truck so no payments but its currently broken down. When it needs fixed i do it myself and it ends up costing me probably $200 a year in repair supplies. I drive it rarely because the gas mileage is bad.

2 Likes

I use the local food bank and do things like freeze my bread loaves so they don’t get moldy. I also use the local church food pantry. Also, checking the reduced rack in the grocery store and eating my lunches at my clubhouse. The only thing I really splurge on is the Diet Pepsis I buy once a week.

3 Likes

I hope you buy it on sale. Soda cost an arm and a leg nowadays if you buy it full price. And the price isn’t going down soon.

2 Likes

Sometimes I can get it for $5.99 a 12-pack, but usually it’s about $8… that’s why I only get it once a week. I used to suck down 8-9 sodas a day but have cut it down to 2-3 now since it’s so expensive.

3 Likes

I’m eating more healthy so spent like $20 for a microwave rice cooker and a microwave vegetable steamer. So for the cost of two mcdonalds meals I have the tools to cook quickly and cheaply some healthy food. Bargain at that really.

3 Likes

Maybe buy whatever soda is on sale and stock up. Diet Coke and Diet Pepsi taste pretty similar. And Dr. Pepper is good.

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s a couple good purchase. That’s a good way to look at it.

3 Likes

The store near my house regularly has “Buy two, get two free”. Occasionally, they have “Buy two, get three free” which works out to about $4 a 12 pack if you include the recycle fee and tax. I often find 2 liters of soda for 'two for $4". Or if I’m lucky I find it for “Buy one, get one free” which works out to about $1.50 per 2 liters. You gotta look for the sales.

1 Like

I usually buy in bulk from a trade food warehouse that supplies businesses. Booker. The brothers got a membership card for work that he is allowed to use.

Meat usually, like a couple of trays of pork chops for a tenner. I just freeze it all.

I cook a big pot of stew, usually in winter and freeze as well.

1 Like

To be fair, I must say that I only very rarely use my city’s taxi service. I actually do all my getting around by either VA van (to get to my VA appointments), by my Church acquaintances (to get to Mass or to my volunteer activities), or by my city’s Moby disability transport van service (to get almost everywhere else).

The VA vans and Church acquaintances are NO cost, of course. The Moby vans are low cost. And the taxis are medium to high cost, depends if they give me a senior discount.

I have very low rent. It hasn’t increased in twenty years. I will pay down my credit card two hundred dollars this month. I’m on disability. I don’t eat very healthily though. I can’t get free internet because I’ve got a free phone.

As I look around my room I feel a stab of guilt: everything in it could be likened to a gift from my uncle Sam if you get my drift. I feel obligated to pay it forward. I don’t see why I can’t preform for the elderly my guitar and mandolin some day. Or I could go to a hospital. I saw how a guy did that who was no better at guitar than I but he was nicer than i. I don’t think I can pull it off just yet.

One of the things is I try to check for benefits I’m entitled to. I get for example a discount on trains, swimming pool, library, taxes,…

Another thing I do is replace one meal a day with a protein shake.

A final thing I do is look for good value for money when it comes to insurance, cell phone,…

2 Likes