Upset. flip flopping over smoking and not smoking!

everybody who has the sz gene also has addictive personality, the two go hand in hand.

I don’t understand how some can manage it, and some can’t.

I agree Daze, it baffles me. The ones I know here on this forum that have quit have used 12 step programs. I keep telling myself to join the program but I tried 12 step programs when I lived in Arizona and for me, it made my addiction worse to talk at every meeting about using. ? I am just clinging to my willpower and my reminders I tell myself about how much misery they bring me when I smoke cigs. Last night was not the first night I have been upset for smoking. It’s like EVERY night I smoke I reach that low.

@jukebox, you can still quit even though you are flip flopping.

When you are refraining from smoking, use serious self-talk commands to keep your attitude in check. Think of how when you pass a certain amount of time smoke-free but you are becoming more set upon picking up a cigarette, that attitude comes into play when physical addition is getting you down. If you light up, first thing you will feel is some type of satisfactory experience, but then you will feel weak. You will feel many types of weakness: physical, mental and a sickly type of weakness that slows you down and pushes your self esteem into who knows what.

What happens if you refrain from smoking after 4 days and your attitude is firm because you have something else to do when the cravings start? You may still flip flop—But This can be Temporary if you keep going.

You absolutely have to have something else to do when the cravings hit. A list of several activities is wise. You also have to become firm and grounded in that you push yourself more and more to stay clear of the cigarettes.

Once you quit, you also have to figure out which activity you want to substitute for smoking when a minor or major crisis occurs.

I flip flopped a lot when I quit smoking. I would buy a pack and smoke one and throw the rest away. I Did not Hound myself about it. I kept going. I knew it was not going to happen overnight. Once long gaps occurred, my body began to reject the action of smoking when I thought I could take it. When you get this far, your own body will push you to stop, too.

1 Like

I must have a masters degree in quitting smoking and drinking, so here is some free advice before you buy my book. The break downs you first encounter are in experiencing some major depressive episode (thoughts) followed up quickly with the very careless as in “I could care less” attitude (literally) until we have been defeated by our own ways of thinking and the “Oh what the hell difference does it make, I’m eventually going to end up dead anyway” thought included.

So you have to change the way that you think in order to successfully attempt quitting again . These can be some minor changes with your thought cycling but with major effects. I like to think for instance, that I am in Jail or Boot Camp or thinking that the option to smoke is no longer “On the Table” or thinking that you are on a very long international flight to the place you’ve always wanted to live, and the health benefits of living there are tremendous, and you may not get another chance to live there ever again in this lifetime. And finally you will need to put considerable distance with those around you who keep on entertaining the enemy in your immediate vicinity.
and don’t tell ltoo many people that you quit because they can’t fight your battles for you.

2 Likes

Man, Idc I’d buy your ■■■■■■■ book just to make you filthy rich, cos that post you just made, Is the mazafakin’ truth, dog.

I didn’t write a book I like to think what I write here on this forum is my book.

Ill play the lottery to get rich instead.

I need royalties then, lolz

when I went into day treatment for alcohol a couple of years ago, a staff work said in a huge circle, “And I just wouldn’t even think of touching alcohol with my kids around,”

and stuff like this to get the women in the room to feel shame and indignity if they had around their kids.

I didn’t go back.

I need support, not blame.

3 Likes

Smoking is addictive which is why it’s hard to quit keep trying!

1 Like

Hey i noticed that this thread is all about smoking and alternatives to using cigarettes.
I am a final year Pharmacy student at Kingston University and I am
doing a project on the use of Electronic Nicotine Delivery Systems (
formerly known as E-Cigarettes) in patients with Schizophrenia.

I was wondering if anyone here would like to fill out a small survey.
This is purely voluntary and will be anonymous.
The survey only has 6 questions and will take only 5 minutes…
None of the questions will ask you to divulge any personal
information or any information that can be traced back to an individual.
I have gained ethical approval.
I also gained permission from the people who run this forum for me to post my survey on this forum to gain participants.

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/3XY3VK8

Hello, Friends,

I am a nonsmoker and nicotine free to boot! Someone recommended licorice bark. Now what do I do with these sticks?

Jayster

jukebox get a f*****g ecig

you’ll live longer

most of the dangerous chemicals are not in the tobacco itself. when it’s burned it’s like a furnace, and there the harmful chemicals are created from the tobacco

a lighted cig is like a furnace, it’s about 1000 degrees c and it creates dangerous chemical from the tobacco

anyway i don’t expect you to believe me, so ask someone else

get an ecig … they work great for some people

“try it - you might like it.”

Don’t ise E cigs it just replaces the addiction to so,ething else just Quit
Just stop doing it enless of course you like coughing and only being able to breThe with the aid of a machine.

I was at the e cig/cigarette pit once and somebody said “they used to think cigarettes were good for you too!!! They’ll find out in 20 years that e cigs cause cancer too!” Then some really nerdy kid smoking a vape said something like “actually the ingredients are harmless…the science says e cigs are better”. I forget what he said exactly but he made a really compelling point. I used to smoke cheap cigars but haven’t had one or a cigarette either since late June. Just been vaping.