Update on quitting abilify

Hi folks.

As some of you might remember, I quit abilify 2 months ago, after tapering off carefully, with my pdoc’s approval. Concomitantly I have started applying some CBT principles on myself, without a therapist (I couldn’t find one near my location).

It has been a positive experience so far.

I now brush my teeth daily, shower more often, cut my nails more often. I still have a hard time grooming my facial hair though, but it’s nothing to worry about.

I also go out more often, feel more energized and motivated, sleep less hours (9 instead of 14 !!) and more profoundly. On the downside, being awake for a longer time, I now smoke more cigarettes, about 13 a day.

My poverty of speech has improved by about 25%.

My anhedonia is also getting better, although very very slowly. I can enjoy some music again, but not like before the illness, and not every time I listen to it.

I hope everyone will find a way to get better. It is an ongoing process and it might never lead to a complete recovery, but wallowing in self pity is what I did for almost 3 years and it got me nowhere. I am glad I changed my attitude.

Wishing all of you well. :pray:

18 Likes

Yo my man andrey …good to hear u are progressing day by day …!!! What a nice thing u have started …cbt helped u man…u have become a tough cookie…andrey the romanian hero …u have become hero in real life …!!

1 Like

That’s great. I plan to taper off and quit Abilify in December. Fingers crossed it goes well.

2 Likes

Ok Diana, if you doc has agreed to it, you may try.
If I remember correctly, your current issues are depression and some anxiety? Make sure you get those addressed :wink:

1 Like

Well I’d rather not take the medication route for those. I have joined a support group for social anxiety in my city. That’s more helpful to me than any form of medication. And I am thinking about attending a group for depression.

1 Like

That is awesome. Keep it up :slight_smile:

I came off abilify for 2 years. I initally felt better too. Then things went downhill but I didn’t notice. 2 years after coming off it I ended up psychotic in hospital.

3 Likes

The lower we can get our medication doses, the better. Obviously should be done with medical oversight and a solid support network in place.

Are you still on medication at all? If not, please PLEASE be careful. So easy to hit the “tipping point” between having and losing insight without realizing it. I wound up alien broadcast proofing my home without having a clue that what I was doing was seriously ■■■■■■ up.

I no longer take APs. I only take an antidepressant low dose, and a beta blocker. My parents and best friend watch me now like I was a time bomb. I have good insight for now, but am not taking anything for granted.

Thank you all for your concerns. You are good pals. I hope I won’t disappoint you by relapsing…

3 Likes

Abilify made my negative symptoms really bad as well. I’m glad you’re doing ok!

1 Like

Glad your doing well @Andrey.
Be very careful, as you are not taking an AP.

1 Like

You won’t disappoint us, Andrey.

1 Like

Only few stays untouched and okay without aps

My dad has undiagnosed sz …!!! He never took any medication …he never had any psychotic break …he is more motivated then me … this seems strange to me …!!!

1 Like

Don’t worry man. With CBT you will surpass your dad :wink: You will conquer your fears and insecurities. You will become a strong dependable man. Maybe you will get married too :wedding:

1 Like

Hi I am very pleased to hear you’re doing so well.
Can I please ask how you tapered off Abilify?
Kind regards
Sharon

1 Like

Well, I was on 15mg, I decreased to 10mg, kept that dosage for about a month, then went down to 5mg, stayed there for 2-3 weeks, then stopped taking it altogether. There were no adverse reactions in the process.

1 Like

Do u experience any difficulties after going off it…

I still have negative symptoms, but they are better than before. Abilify was worsening my symptoms, man. I am so glad I found an easy way to get better.

When do you start therapy @far_cry0 ??

2 Likes

Not sure but soon…i am surely inform u andrey…but i am not so positive about it tho it has shown benificial to negative symptoms too…

1 Like

No way dude. u legit stopped meds all 2gether?