"Update" on my med situation

I’m still on the same meds as I was the last time I made this sort of thread (3mg risperidone, 450mg Wellbutrin, 20mg paxil, I don’t remember how much Buspar) but things are progressing towards my switching antipsychotics, at the very least – my therapist is adamant about getting me a referral to my old psych nurse practitioner once the holidays have passed. I was actually supposed to schedule an appointment with the latter at the beginning of this month, but family stuff got in the way.

The reasons for the switch are that risperidone has been making me depressed for well over a year and it’s been elevating my blood sugar to unhealthy levels.

I’ve done some research with the help of my ex-pharm tech friend and I’m going to ask about geodon and latuda. Geodon would be preferable but apparently it’s not covered by my insurance, Medicaid (though my friend insists my psych nurse could pre-authorize it for me). I’d be willing to give latuda a shot if geodon turns out to not be a viable option.

I appreciate you for reading this and also for any feedback I might get. :slight_smile:

Mightn’t be the antipsychotic . But the same thing happened me and now I have to take metformin to keep it under control. I’m on abilify.

1 Like

That’s possible! If it’s not risperidone directly it might be the depression it seems to cause that leads me to comfort eat unhealthy foods (working to get that under control).

How well does metformin control your glucose levels?

All my blood tests came back ok now.

1 Like

That’s good to hear! :slight_smile: If they choose to put me on metformin I’ll cooperate and take it. I hope you continue to see success with it.

1 Like

I take Geodon and Latuda. I get them for free but Latuda is expensive. It’s not generic yet.

1 Like

Do you experience side effects? And damn, hopefully the site I looked at didn’t lie about latuda being covered by Medicaid, lol. I might have to research more options yet.

Latuda I was taking a few years ago.i was more agitated by it. Hey might work others.

1 Like

Thanks for letting me know that about your experience with it! I’ll definitely be attentive to any agitation I might develop if I switch.

I hope you’re now on something that works better for you.

1 Like

It’s helping but has its flaws. Do you take cogentin yet?

1 Like

I was on cogentin in tandem with risperidone at first, but I stopped being prescribed cogentin several months ago. :confused: I’m definitely going to ask my psych nurse about that because that doesn’t seem right.

1 Like

‘‘Or’’ wait for Lumateperone, lets see if it’ll be approve by next week. Just to say, i take Zyprexa and only Zyprexa/Olanzapine, yes, it has its side effect but it works for me, no negative symptom ‘‘depression’’. But i weight 230 lbs on 20mg of Zyprexa. I rater be on a weight meds than with Invega Sustenna after i stopped medication to start exercise and loose weight as i tried, it worked but i went back to the hospital, and thats when Invega Sustenna injection almost killed me with heart ache problem and akathisia. So, went back to Zyprexa and accepted my schizophrenia, and everything worked out.

2 Likes

I’m glad you’re doing better now! What you went through sounds scary.

I’ll make a note to ask my psych nurse about lumateperone if it is approved in time; thank you for reminding me it exists. It definitely sounds promising.

1 Like

And i want to mention, if you want a med, take one med with little high dose instead of multiple APS. Side effect should show from that one meds and thats it.

1 Like

No problem, thats why we here for. And Lumateperone is the only reason why i came here for info. Thats how BowlOfChips came. Lol

2 Likes