Unreal or the truth

I have been diagnosed with sz for over 15 years. I’m confused as to whether the life I live at the moment is unreal or the truth. Everywhere I go I hear insults. I hear them in the car park, in shops, at the cinema, walking into the mental health clinic. I hear insults everywhere. My mother and father can’t hear them. They are with me at the time but never hear an insult. As well as that I believe a lot of people are talking about me online. That they are saying bad things about me all the time. That the people who dislike me have a group where they say awful things about me. I would like to believe it is all in my mind and not real. I am convinced though that it is real. Has anyone any advice? Has anyone had something similar? I really need help to cope with this.

4 Likes

Hello Marie. Welcome to sz forum.

Pretty sure by now the voices come from within myself, took some convincing by my psych but now I finally start to accept it. Still have a hard time accepting it though…

Insults happen only to you,
because they’re auditory hallucinations

2 Likes

Hi Anon4 thank you for your reply. You now are convinced they are not real? It took a lot of work to get to where you are now?

1 Like

I have the same experience with insults. I even hear them in the wind. The only thing that helps me is my self confidence. They don’t bother me bc they aren’t the source of my self esteem. I had to work a lot on accepting myself to be unaffected by it.

1 Like

Hi Om, thank you for your reply. Your convinced they are auditory hallucinations?

1 Like

Hey, Marie.
I know from personal experience.
They curse and swear

1 Like

Hi Fractaled. Thank you for your reply. I’ve heard them in the wind as well. Or while on the motorway from passing cars, again they are insults. How did you stop being affected by them?

1 Like

Hi @Marie185 ,
Its all mis interpretation in the brain, some real some unreal voices,
All you got to do is stay calm.
And not focus on external and internal voices.
Practice not focusing on them.

Hi Om, they do swear. Usually swears about who I am.

1 Like

If your parents can’t hear them they aren’t real.

Hopefully you’ll be able to convince yourself of the facts.

1 Like

Hi A_B_C thank you for your reply. How did you practice not focusing on them? What strategies did you adopt? Thanks again.

There’s a separation between what they say, and what I think. Just because they insult me, doesn’t mean it’s true. If I wanted it to be true it would be, but it’s me who gives them that authority. If I don’t give them that authority to determine who or what I am, then what they say has no effect.

Be your own authority. Forgive and accept yourself, so you don’t rely on anyone else to determine who you are.

Also, making fun of them helps me. I often tell these voices how dramatic they are, and point out how badly they must want my attention. For me, they want my reaction, then their effect is even larger. If I react in a lighthearted way, the effect isn’t so big.

I know. Mine swear and insult me often.

Hi Johnathan, thanks for your reply. My parents can’t hear them. I thought it was a gift they got to shield them from the pain of having a daughter who’s constantly insulted. You are right about the facts. They never hear a word so I guess I have to face the facts that its my mind.

2 Likes

Getting busy in a silent area,
or you could use noise cancelling ear plugs,
and get into logical thinking,
the best was I found is coding,
as it will give error if you drift.
And to remain calm you need,
Do body mind relaxation techniques,
best would to ask psychologist once voices reduce.
There are stages of schizophrenia,
Being well informed is also good.
But with little knowledge its a doom.

1 Like

Drawing and making music works for me, noise cancelation headphones also, and medications.

1 Like

Hi A_B_C, thanks for your reply. I will soon be getting an appointment to get cognitive behavioral therapy. This should help. I do mind body relaxation most days.

1 Like

Hi Fractaled, thanks for your reply. I am going to act lighthearted with them and not give them so much power.

1 Like

Till now, the things I feel the knowledge to be known is psychology and laws.
I dont know I feel these two play a very important role.
Whats your field of interest?