Unemployment causes 45,000 suicides a year

I read a story recently in my country where a family took in a homeless man who turned out to be mentally ill and killed the mother and her daughter. So it isn’t always wise to be a good samaritan. Who would wish to reduce themselves to that kind of begging anyway. It isn’t practical. It is the State’s duty to acommodate the homeless not random members of the public.

@exhile I don’t have any family or kids. I have often read and seen reports that previously functioning men with wives and children quite often carry out suicide. Whether they are suffering a bout of mental illness at the time of suicide is another debate in itself.

@Diana_Ross7 it is a very bad story, it is bad for the most defenseless members of society.
There are stories of kids murdering their bona-fide parents by the way.
I would eagerly help people in need, if I were functional and I am sure that if I get to this
desperate situation , I will find people who will agree to help me as well.
Regarding accommodation from the government- I agree that it’s preferable,
but in different countries there are different levels of support,
and also these procedures sometimes take time.

@labratmat Competition is everywhere from business, sports and politics. Cooperation I could see in medicine or assisting the underclass. I’ve not read “Mutual Aid” but if there is a free e-book copy I would consider going over it.

I think there is another cultural misunderstandind…???

He is only stating that " breadwinners" are unlikely to commit suicide because they are invested in their family group. A breadwinner type is deep in dedication and suicide would be the opposite of dedication.

The life of a single person with no family is just as important as that of a breadwinner. But it is a different life. The single person has no fear of what might happen to loved one after the single person is gone, because there are no loved ones.

American culture can be difficult to understand. I think your own culture must be gentler in nature than our own in this matter.

@exhile I’m sure it is out there for download. Once you have read it the idea of competition will exist, but that there are other ways. :slight_smile:

@macy I have responded to this already in my message to @exhile,
and said that, for the record, life will continue and a solution will be found
for people who lose their main support.
There goes the ugly “excuse” of why a supporter wouldn’t commit suicide but a single person would.
All this discussion is repulsive, but I am compelled to respond because
there are single people that if a helpless person approaches them,
they will agree to help him so the division between supporters and non- supporters is often arbitrary.

1 Like

@labratmat Well, those previously functioning men with wives and children who carry out suicide have to be in the minority of the population because most countries birth rates depend on households with large families. Just say 2, 3, 5 kids. There aren’t that many people with mental illnesses compared to the general population.

@exhile yes i know. Most do exclude that, and this is exacty why. There are a few out there that do not exclude it and are more exspensive.

1 Like

@labratmat Found it.

1 Like

@exhile 45,000 is a world wide study. The world population is 7 billion, so there are obviously a minority of people who do it. The study tells us that economic pressure causes suicide whether they have a family or not.

It may seem horrible and contrary to your personal feelings that a person with children would commit suicide, but they do. Suicide and mental illness, be it momentary or slowly built up over time happens. To exclude those with wives and children from suicide would be foolish, as to some the pressure increases and so does the intent, and the need to escape it all.

It is not just the lonely, or the permanently mentally ill who do it, but normals with wives and kids too.

2 Likes

Diana i love you

yes, this whole discussion thread is rather repulsive and morbid.

I am only stating it can go either way.

peace to all here before yhe mods probably come to shut down us naughty little grimlins.

Gettin while d gettn good.

I see. But do you feel like you’re making progress? Depression can be addictive, people can gradually slip into a complacent state, where they no longer want to take the necessary steps to get rid of depression. I don’t want you to go there :slight_smile: It’s amazing that your schizophrenia can already be controlled, and it would be a pity to stumble upon a “mere” depression (disclaimer: i know there are no “mere” depressions, but compared to the schizophrenia hell, it is way more treatable).

@labratmat I’d like to know more statistical data on those 45,000 people. One example is the fall of Enron Energy and the dissolution of Arthur Anderson Accounting. Many people lost their jobs but they will find employment elsewhere.

If the person committing suicide is a mentally ill and has a family then sure I could see the event happening. But normal people wouldn’t usually kill themselves or else the number unemployment caused suicides would be much higher. I think normal people would just find other employment opportunities than the current job which was terminated or for whatever reason.

@exhile Personally, my mother was personal assistant to the managing director at a major christian charity quite a few years ago. He had a family, wife and children was well off financially and then upon losing his job for being a high functioning alcoholic walked in to the sea and killed himself.

It happens to ‘good christian men’ who had it all. Nice car and in my opinion could easily have found work elsewhere. He even had a christian fellowship to support him, but he killed himself anyway. For his stupid pride in my opinion, but there you go. A perfect example of a man with no mental illness in his history couldn’t take it anymore and drowned himself for losing his job.

3 Likes

Worldwide or in this country?

1 Like

You could just read the link. (sorry, worldwide.)

@labratmat Yeah, that is unfortunate. I guess normal people do go through the pains & misery of losing a job that one has take pride upon. People do make stupid decisions without thinking utterly through the consequences but hey, we’re only human.

Still, the numbers are low and that’s a good thing if you want to look at it in a positive direction.

2 Likes

What country are the majority of these suicides occurring in?