Understanding restraint for the sake of health

I woke up from the damn nightmares, a really intense, sweaty one, at 3AM. I dressed in workout clothes and decided that I should do an extra workout this morning.

No. Muscle soreness and aches are worse on my new medicine, and I worked out hard yesterday morning, and will workout tomorrow morning. Also, if I become exhausted before an interview, that ■■■■■ it all up and makes me appear to be more ill than I actually am.

So I have to change out of my gym gear and into professional dress, and keep my mind busy and stay sharp instead of give up an important opportunity to friggin practicing mixed martial arts when I dont need any damn fight practice.

I have learned that restraint or impulse can lead to a domino effect in one of two directions; everything falling into place, or everything falling apart.

So I am practicing restraint from my crappy side of my personality (reckless physical activity on a whim, when I am healthy and also built already) in favor of what is harder to do, but better for me and others. No one benefits if I do an intense workout for no reason other than an adrenaline high when I need to do an interview for a volunteer experience as a mental health worker.

See we all have demons…sometimes fighting them is not beating them to pulp, but by outwitting them, seeing what they are going to do to our futures. Understanding restraint has been a big part of my life so far, and I have been in treatment since age 11, when the prodrome hit hard in the nuts.

Just wanted to share that even heroes know when to be scared…of their own nature.

And we are all heroic; to be on here and trying to get better in the face of the worst diagnosis in the diagnostic manual is heroic. Even if you dont slay many demons, trying is all anyone does anyways, even if they succeed.

2 Likes

let us know how you get on with that :slight_smile:

and it is good when we get our priorities straight, practice restraint etc, everyone has their bounderies but some of us try and push the envelope if we are able to and succeed (hopefully) and get to places we never thought we could go, its all about reaching our potential and everyones potential is different, it depends on the severity of your illness and how good your med is for you etc as well as care and support you receive, environment and maybe even motivation, everyone has there own magic potion of wellness i think and we just need to find it somehow.

very true

1 Like

@mortimermouse Ever try to do a short mild workout instead of going too extreme in your regiment? Feed the beast so to speak but not go overboard.

I am attempting to learn moderation and restraint as well. I tend to go a little overboard with a lot of things and need to check myself and learn to “pump the brakes” from time to time as my tdoc says. This will be my next battle, learning to tame my obbsessive nature which will be very difficult for me. But should i fail i will try, try again. Like edison said:
“I did not fail, i learned 10,000 ways not to make a light bulb”

2 Likes

right on. I always remember that “you do you” comes first, and that truths that guide recovery-oriented lifestyles are true most, not all of the time- they work on average, not for everyone.

For example, I often have these little crises where I sit and study for ridiculous binges and I stop and stare and think “most people don’t do this.” which leads me to question the life I chose. I then ask myself if trading places with anyone is a better idea, and no matter who I think of, I end up realizing that I do what works for me because I tried everything else.

You know, a lot of what I present these days shows advanced, sort of unusual recovery- the truth is, I started out in the very bottom, I was working truck and night shifts on weekends before college, and I was incredibly sick. People thought I was done for. That is why, when I find time, like early mornings or weekends, I stop by here- people struggle with what I overcame. Now my identity crisis is that I am pursuing a tertiary degree and received top honors upon walking a few months ago, top of my department…bizarre, and when I feel like crap, like up at 3AM sweating nightmares hallucinating, that sort of crap, I remember where I started.

Actually, my whole rationale behind extensive education was that I enjoy this little community and have since I started actually going to class and not just drinking and crap, and I want to work in a mental hospital in charge of schizophrenia patients.

2 Likes

i’d love that but it was more of just being on the ward and helping out rather than being in charge for me.

tbh i try and not think too much about it, i just try and trust that things will work out in the end and even if they dont then at least i tried my best, when i start to question things like that its kind of negative i think, i just try and get on with it, those thoughts are like a distraction for me.

i was unlucky i couldnt progress due to my illness but it wasnt bc i was sick it was bc of the stigma attached to the diagnosis, you are very lucky that you have been allowed to progress so far and i am sure they must have confidence in you to succeed or you wouldnt have progressed so far maybe,

practical experience is where it is at for me now, i am looking for practical experience and to gain new skills and hands on things, that volluntary position sounds pretty good, let us know how you get on.

1 Like