Uncertain times ahead

Welcome to the forum @MrFish :fish:

The best thing to do is tell your psychiatrist exactly what you told us.

They may switch you to something else or ask you to tough it out for a while to see if it settles down.

I remember when I went on abilify (which is similar to vraylar) the first few weeks were tough.

I hope things turn out ok for you.

1 Like

I also take amisulpride (300mg) and I find coming off of it or lowering my dose to below 200mg makes me get very severe anxiety and tension. Sorry that itā€™s not available in the US, itā€™s a good med. Iā€™m from South Africa and itā€™s widely available here but itā€™s so expensive! But it helped me a lot. Iā€™ve been on it for nearly seven years and it seemed to be the only med that stabilised me. I take a small dose of olanzapine with it for the depression. (I have schizoaffective disorder).

Thanks for your reply, Iā€™m happy to hear it works for somebody else as well. I was on olanzapine when I first became ill. But, I didnā€™t like the side effects so later began on amisulpride. I find it remarkable actually that the same drug is used to treat different disorders. I read something yesterday and it said the FDA had approved amisulpride for injection - but it wasnā€™t for schizophrenia. I wish I could remember what it was now, but thatā€™s still a step in the right direction for mental health in the US - if true

I appreciate your thoughts, thank you. Thatā€™s exactly what Iā€™m going to do. Iā€™m hoping this right now will subside in a week or two. I understand thereā€™s an element of giving something a chance. This has freaked me out though. Iā€™ve been well (medicated) for years, and have never needed to change meds in my well state of mind.

1 Like

well stay in close touch with your pdocā€¦I wish you well and welcome to the forum !!

1 Like

Iā€™ve tried CBD multiple times but it never really did anything for me. I used to be a heavy pot smoker in my teens (probably played a part in my developing shiz in my 20s). If I take more than 2 hits now its like instant psychosis so I avoid it. I take kratom every once in a while now. Its not for everyone though.

Definitely, and thank you

Same actually, same ages too. Iā€™ve smoked THC a handful of times over the years since and they were never fun. I still enjoy smoking. So discovering CBD has been a nice alternative. Itā€™s a different type of high, itā€™s body based. My wife did get some this evening and it has helped actually - quite a lot, itā€™s taken the edge off.

thatā€™s cool. I still smoke cigs so I get it. I donā€™t want to break the rules here, but I can still tolerate most drugs, but THC is a no go.

See I wasnā€™t sure about the rules, I should read them. Because Iā€™ve had a similar past, and there was one time Iā€™ve smoked THC and not had psychosis, since my diagnosis. I had something else in my system. Iā€™ve wondered since if there was possibly something there worth researching for mental health purposes - an ingredient. Heck I hope this doesnā€™t get me banned, but it begins with C, ends with E and is sniffed. That night, I had no symptoms at all. So yeah, it got me thinking why - my answer pointed towards ā€œthatā€. I should add tho, if Iā€™m going to mention this subject, that night, ā€œthatā€ was extremely strong. Who knows, maybe somebody in the medical trade might read this and it could open a research door. Maybe thatā€™s a justification for leaving this comment, I dunnoā€¦ and no, Iā€™m not saying people run out and do things they shouldnā€™t. Iā€™m just speaking from my own experiencesā€¦ and if this isnā€™t an acceptable comment for this forum, please remove it.