Schizophrenia.com

UChicago researchers receive $3.5 million from NIMH to transform diagnosis of psychotic disorders

Researchers from the University of Chicago have been awarded $3.5 million from the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) as part of the second phase of the Bipolar-Schizophrenia Network on Intermediate Phenotypes (B-SNIP2) – a multi-university consortium that aims to establish a new system of diagnosis for psychotic diseases based on biomarkers, and guide the development of novel therapies.

B-SNIP2 expands on an initial round of studies in over 2,500 patient and healthy volunteers (B-SNIP1) that shed light on biological and genetic overlaps for the major psychotic disorders schizophrenia, schizoaffective disorder and bipolar disorder. The consortium will now recruit an additional 3,000 study participants over five years to identify biomarkers and establish biologically meaningful definitions and categorizations for these diseases.

Collaborating institutions in B-SNIP2 include teams from Yale University, Harvard University, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center and University of Georgia.

http://cnpru.bsd.uchicago.edu/BSNIP.html Study participants needed.

4 Likes

I don’t like the use of the word “disease”, but other than that I guess I’m looking forward to seeing what they can accomplish.

Cool. A step in the right direction.

Yes. There are biological markers that make others want to kill you because of their biological markers.

Some of these people can do things to your brains.

I’ve been murdered and tormented for a very long time. Wasted you might say.