(TW) Sexual abuse during psychosis

I wanted to ask everyone what their thoughts are on having sex with a person who is severely psychotic.

I was dating a guy during my psychotic break and I was very clearly unwell. I was having extreme delusions that people were coming to kidnap me or that I was going to be taken away by the government and I was incapable of eating or sleeping. I also punch myself when I’m severely psychotic so there were bruises covering my thighs. During this time I was completely terrified that I was going to never see him again every time he left as well as being terrified of not having any company as I was almost certain I was going to kill myself if nobody was right beside me.

As a result, I would constantly beg and cry for him to come over/not to leave even when it wasn’t in his best interest to stay. I don’t blame him for it being hard on him, but there was almost always a catch; as long as I promised to have sex with him, he would almost always agree. I really don’t think I was in the right mindset to give my full consent (though I’m not calling him a rapist) and I think it was at least somewhat abusive to have sex with me even though it was clear I didn’t actually want to.

There were incidences in the past as well before I became ill that influence my belief that he was being sexually abusive toward me, though I will only get into those things if a need arises during conversation. My question is what everybody thinks of the ability to consent when one is actively and severely psychotic, and again whether you believe this constitutes a form of abuse. Much love to all of you. :slight_smile::two_hearts:

2 Likes

I think the ability to give meaningful consent has to be taken on a case by case basis. And a person can be too psychotic to give meaningful consent, but still present fully in control, so they might be tricking others into thinking they can give meaningful consent. In that case, something bad has happened, but it’s not really anybody’s fault.

I don’t know your situation. You know it best. It does sound like this guy was being a total jerk, and possibly abusive. I’m sorry you went through that. Are you safe now, and away from him? Do you have a support system and a counselor you can talk to about this?

3 Likes

If you were clearly ill it’s wrong what he did.

2 Likes

I’m sorry that this happened to you.
This thread should come with a TW

1 Like

When actively psychotic, especially with mania, you can be hypersexual. Talk to your doctor, clear up the picture…you know best.

2 Likes

Yes, I am safe and we are no longer together, no worries. I agree it wasn’t really anybodys fault as well, as I’m sure he didn’t quite realize the full extent of the situation. It was just still very clear that I was unwell and I think it was very wrong. :two_hearts::two_hearts::two_hearts:

2 Likes

I’m okay now, it just weighs on my mind at times. I probably should have put one at the start, I apologize for not doing so. :two_hearts:

1 Like

Well to be fair, I was not manic then and I had no sex drive, I only had sex because I was terrified of being alone. Thank you for the reply though :slight_smile::two_hearts:

1 Like

I have had similar things happen to me.

I do not know how many times.

Many many times.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.