TW Self harm: I relapsed again

I’m so disappointed in myself. It was just a small cut but I know I opened a can of worms. I’m already subconsciously planning when I can do it again. It’s like I can’t stop now that I’ve started because I already ■■■■■■ my progress. 4 years of progress. It’s better than killing myself I guess.

Better yet, I haven’t told my partner. I don’t know how or if I should even tell him. He’s gunna be so disappointed. I can’t face that. I’m such a coward. Such a disappointment. A failure. God I wish I could just sleep and not wake up. I’m just so tired.

Sorry to trauma dump. I needed to vent but I’m officially done wasting everyone’s time with this rant.

8 Likes

You are not wasting our time. We are here for you. :bug::bug::bug:

2 Likes

It’s all right, we’re glad you’re here.

:hugs:

2 Likes

Try to remain calm and rational.

You had a slip. It doesn’t mean you have to do it again and it doesn’t mean you will do it again.

Can you contact your medical team and let them know what happened and that you’re upset about it?

2 Likes

Yeah contact your medical team and let them know.

Nip it in the bud

1 Like
1 Like

It sure feels like it sometimes. Thank you for the kind words.

1 Like

Thanks @ozymandias that’s very kind of you.

1 Like

Thanks for the words of wisdom. I ended up just going to sleep to avoid further upset. I will tell pdoc about this at my next appointment.

2 Likes

I will let them know at my next appointment. Thanks for the advice.

1 Like

This was a very interesting piece on melatonin. Maybe I will feel better if I try it. Not exactly a young person (as described by the study) anymore though.

1 Like

You are not a disappointment or a failure of any of that. You are strong and I am glad you’re still here so keep going and keep fighting. Talk with your doctor, write it out… be in nature…

I was a cutter for a really long time. The first time was on my 13th birthday, I tried to stop several times and then stopped completely in 2016 at 30. I still feel like doing it at times, but I do something else, like listen to music, watch something funny, journal or meditate. Therapy helped a lot and so does self care and affirmations.

1 Like

Thank you @LunaNoir for the kind words. I also started at around that age. I thought I was done 4 years ago. But clearly I am not. I know I shouldn’t feel this way but I’m pretty embarrassed that I’m a couple years away from 30 and still struggling with this. So thanks for sharing your ages of when you struggled too. It helps me to realize it’s nothing to be embarrassed about. And that there’s time to stop.

1 Like

You are welcome. There is always hope. Keep going forward.

1 Like

Maybe you need to find newer coping skills. It sounds like your old ones aren’t working well enough anymore.

I’m very sorry you had a relapse but I truly believe that just because you did it doesn’t mean it’s inevitable you’ll do it again. You have overcome this before, and you can overcome it again.

2 Likes

I’m starting PHP on Tuesday. I’m hoping I can get some new ideas for coping skills there.

2 Likes

Good. I edited my comment because I said the opposite of what I meant to say. In other words it’s not inevitable that you’ll do it again

1 Like

I knew what ya meant:)

1 Like

Phew! I’m so glad!

1 Like

oh bitter cat I’m so sorry for you don’t be to hard to yourself that’s just a little thing that can happen.
I’ve had a hard fight against alcohol the last 21 years.
The first 10 years I slippered into drinking on occasions and gush was I disappointed of myself. No improvements without a fight so today I’m sober.

1 Like