Trump / FDA Rules - What if the Free Market Decided Whether or Not Drugs Work?

The fact that homeopathy is a multibillion dollar industry would suggest ordinary people will happily believe any ■■■■, even when there is no evidence to support it and abundant evidence to disprove it. And while some things like homeopathy may appear to be harmless, they can (and often do) still result in people not actually taking them with things that work but instead of things that work

1 Like

In my opinion the FDA is less about whether a drug works or not, but more about whether it is going to kill you.

My impression is that if the pharmaceutical company was further deregulated big pharma would have fewer concerns about the safety of their meds as the chances of litigation would be reduced.

I think faster is better. A decade plus is too long for a pill to be approved, especially if it is for a major unmet need such as negative and cognitive sx. So have the same number of trials, but don’t wait 5 years in between them. Is that too much to ask, is testing at a snails pace really ensuring that the pill works?

You are correct - but its one thing to pay $100 for some water with health claims, another to sign up to paying $1,000 a month for a new drug that could give you Tardive Dyskinesia.

Basically I’m agreeing with you - and as you mention there is the problem that people may buy into the “next new thing” which has little clinical validation and which wastes your money - while you miss out on using a more proven medication that is also known to have some serious side effects for a significant percentage of users.

2 Likes

That is a reasonable argument - as long as the side effects are not deadly.

2 Likes

I’m not sure how I feel about his plan. I do know one thing – medicine should be approved faster. As far as his plan, it could be argued the free market place will regulate drugs. There is incentive for companies to come out with pills that actually work. If they don’t work the drug companies will lose business. They will also be sued heavily if there are lethal or major even minor side effects. That should also keep them in check. In addition, drugs should cost less without regulations in the way. I also have more faith - not much - that drug companies won’t sell garbage drug after garbage drug just to make a quick buck.

Genetic inheritance

you said disease through genetics

can you give me some examples of this?

for example, liver disease

heart disease

kidney disease

cancer, diabetes, parkinson’s, MS

none caused by genetics

Schizophrenia is primarily genetic. If you have children, they will inherit those genetic defects. Even if they don’t become schizophrenic, they may get milder versions of schizophrenia like schizotypal personality disorder, etc. With genetic engineering, assuming the right cells are targeted, you can avoid passing your disease to any children you may have even if the genetic treatment does not cure your own disease.

it’s a very low percentage

and should never stop someone with sz from having kids

even genetics alone doesn’t cause it

I disagree. There is overwhelming evidence, if you read literature, that schizophrenia is absolutely genetic and extremely rarely it’s caused by traumatic brain injury and brain damage from drug abuse.
Emotional neglect and similar things may trigger schizophrenia but only when there is already a genetic predisposition to it.

If you read disease models for schizophrenia then you will find that only rarely can drugs account for chronic schizophrenia. For example, dysfunction of metabolism of dopamine and tyrosine, tryptophan, reduced glutamate receptor expression and sensitivity, and so on, are not caused by any known drug to my knowledge.

1 Like

are you saying my parents have schizophrenia or some rebuke inhibitor
they passed on to me?

They don’t.

Not that I’m aware of.

Ok.

If you want to make the case that my parents carried some kind of recessive gene
for schizophrenia that created my illness through a combination of two negative make a positive

maybe

but they only had two kids,
and the occurence of schizophrenia wouldn’t be in every child.

Mine is positive but their dad, likely is not.

not because the DNA was there, but because of the trauma, the DNA changes.

For instance, they think DID can happen from bullying.

An experience like watching someone blow their hand off by a grenade,
PTSD, especially how close it was to killing you.

Nobody could have said to me at age 18, you’re going to get schizophrenia,
and they didn’t. I wasn’t predisposed.

As you know, emotions and mental states can do nothing to alter the DNA. What you are thinking of is gene expression.
As for genetic mutations, they obviously arise spontaneously as cells divide or are harmed by oxygen, inflammation and such, so it could very well be that a genetic mutation has arisen in yourself that has no relation to the dna of your parents. Because of this, genetic screening for newborns is becoming popular.

For me, the shitty fact is that sz shares some genes with bipolar. So if you as a parent have bipolar the child still have a chance to develop sz. That’s ■■■■■■.

Well the fact that the best predictor we have for schizophrenia is having an identical twin with schizophrenia (even if raised apart in different environments) would suggest genes have a significant role. Although there is the shared environment in the womb so that could be involved, but as far i know non-identical twins arent any better as a predictor than siblings born separately.

On the other hand having a schizophrenic identical twin only gives you something like a 50% chance of developing it yourself, which would make it unlikely that its entirely genetic

1 Like

Sz runs in my family. But I regret smoking too much weed in my teens/twenties. Think it complicated this predisposition.

From the Schizophrenia.com website,

The Causes of Schizophrenia

Experts now agree that schizophrenia develops as a result of interplay between biological predisposition (for example, inheriting certain genes) and the kind of environment a person is exposed to. These lines of research are converging: brain development disruption is now known to be the result of genetic predisposition and environmental stressors early in development (during pregnancy or early childhood), leading to subtle alterations in the brain that make a person susceptible to developing schizophrenia. Environmental factors later in life (during early childhood and adolescence) can either damage the brain further and thereby increase the risk of schizophrenia, or lessen the expression of genetic or neurodevelopmental defects and decrease the risk of schizophrenia. In fact experts now say that schizophrenia (and all other mental illness) is caused by a combination of biological, psychological and social factors, and this understanding of mental illness is called the bio-psycho-social model.

Read the rest of the article here:
The Causes of Schizophrenia

2 Likes