Trump budget science cuts

Bottom line, there’s at least as much human rights concern with the Chinese justice system as the US system, they also do not have free press and they don’t tolerate dissent as in the US. Their record with persecution of religious minorities is poor, and with Tibet.

Doesn’t mean they can’t do science though.

I don’t think that the profound issues mentioned in the article you linked can be described in just 2 sentences.
I would really like to read the article, I hope I manage it one day
@twinklestars

i didn’t expect a cure anytime soon but Trump and the republican cutting the SSI and Medicaid that so many of us rely on is a real possibility

Yes, there is a lot of misfortune on the horizon for many of us.

Well they weren’t making any progress anyway, I mean aerobic exercise? Crossword puzzles? The crap they have been putting out simply hasn’t been beneficial during the last 8 years.

How about this? Paid for in part by an NIH grant.

https://news.uthscsa.edu/cell-transplants-may-be-a-novel-treatment-for-schizophrenia/

I’ll grab some more, just on my phone so it takes some juggling.

1 Like

Here’s another. No crosswords here.

https://www.nimh.nih.gov/news/science-news/2013/taming-suspect-gene-reverses-schizophrenia-like-abnormalities-in-mice.shtml

1 Like

Here’s a list. Some you might find more useful than others. But there’s a lot of heavy duty science.

https://www.nimh.nih.gov/news/science-news/science-news-about-schizophrenia.shtml

1 Like

Didn’t read all the posts but man was this a republican hate fest.

Kinda read only the first couple of posts. The later posts seem a little better.

If as a society we treat funding for science as a political football we will still be here in 15 years wondering why all we have is a few incrementally better drugs.

It’s frustrating that results are slow, but the answer isn’t to stop funding scientific study.

Tell it to trump.
Or impeach him.
@twinklestars

What, personally? Congress has to do that.

But Congress also passes the budget, so that’s why I say you can contact your representative and tell them you want the NIH fully funded. If you have a democratic representative they will probably already be fighting for this, but if you have republican representative they may be swayed by their constituent’s desires. Not all Republicans are happy about the things Trump is doing.

1 Like

@twinklestars the US is not my country, my country is Israel, I may try to influence stuff here.

1 Like

Erez tells those scientists in Israel to get with the program. It’s been two years since their last breakthrough. We’re expecting big things here from you guys.

@twinklestars when did this get published?
Anything recent on the subject?
I would love a stem cell transplant to cure my psychosis

2013 I think. Another poster wrote to Dr Lodge and he said they’re still pursuing it and it’s still promising, but it’s a long way from human trials. I hope he’s able to keep his funding. NIH is getting a big cut if the budget passes, but it’s not being defunded entirely.

Well, I’m not holding my breath. I think we’ll see a better drug come out long before they do any kind of procedure on schizophrenics.

I think that’s a safe bet.

It’s important for them to be careful experimenting with people. Did you see where some eye clinic injected stem cells into people’s eyeballs and ended up blinding them? They have to do a lot of work in the lab before they can say it’s probably safe to try on people.

But to really reverse the disease - that will probably take more than drugs.

1 Like

I would be happy with a better drug at this point.
The current atypicals are unsatisfactory they either don’t completely work or the side effects are too raucous.
Maybe ITI-007 will pass the FDA evaluation and we’ll have a new class of drugs come out.