Trouble holding jobs

Does anyone else have trouble holding jobs?

I’ve held my current job for 5 months now. It depends what you’d consider a short or long amount of time is.

1 Like

I haven’t been able to hold a job that wasn’t volunteering in a log time. However, I was unmedicated for a really long time, and I haven’t tried working while on medication.

1 Like

I am too unreliable to have a job. Every now and then, I get hopeful that maybe, maybe this time I can do it. But I can’t… Thank goodness for disability.

1 Like

My one job I’ve had since psychosis (fast food, bleh) started off fine but as time passed I got more and more paranoid regarding the motives and opinions of my coworkers and eventually I gave in and quit before the stress triggered a relapse. I still want to work, just maybe at a more low-key place next time, lol.

1 Like

My current trouble is not only doing my own work, but that of two other coworkers. Seriously considering looking for work elsewhere. I’m burning out.

1 Like

How long have you been sick?

When I first got sick in 2008 I didn’t think I was sick and I kept on working. Applying for disability was the furthest thing from my mind. I burned through 7 jobs in a couple of years. I think about 9 months was my record. My shortest stint was about 6 weeks. After losing my 7th job I finally applied for SSDI in 2014 and got it right away. But then I got stable and found the right meds. I went back to school in 2015. I graduated in 2017.

I started working a little again in 2017 and went off SSDI this year and have been at my current job since April. So about 8 months now or so.

But this is ten to eleven years after diagnosis with insight into my illness and stable on meds. It took me a long time to get here.

Give yourself some time.

4 Likes

Yeah, I’ve had 11 jobs in 2 years

1 Like

I’ve had about 15-17 jobs since I got sick in 1980. A couple I lasted 4 years, a couple I lasted 3 years. A couple lasted a few weeks or several months. I can never predict how I’ll do at a job or how long I’ll last.

I’ve got fired from several. Life’s a crapshoot anyways, you never know what a new job entails so I just kept trying and if I get fired or quit I dutifully go out and get another one and do my best at it. Sometimes I succeed sometimes I fail. But yeah, jobs are pretty unpredictable. I’ve been at my current janitors job for 5 years, a personal record.

3 Likes

I have a tendency to quit after 6 months to a year. the longest I’ve ever worked at one place was 3 or 4 years and it was seasonal.

usually I blow my stack on travel or basic expenses over a period of months with no income coming in to offset the loss. then I get another job, build up savings, and the cycle starts all over again.

I’ve had 16 jobs, im 35 years old, but I haven’t worked in 7 years. so 16 jobs from the age of 15-28.

2 Likes

I had trouble holding entry level jobs, which were much more labor-intensive and exhausting, both mentally and physically. I have less trouble now that I’ve worked my way into cushier jobs.

3 Likes

I have a hard time keeping jobs. I always end up quitting when I either get harassed or when I think everyone is against me. I also sometimes get in my own world and that affects my performance sometimes. I get excellent reviews but I just can’t hack it. People just don’t understand why it’s so hard for me. I wish I could find a job “home” and stay there.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.